Released on September 19, 2014, this 4.7" screen iPhone is the smaller version of the iPhone 6 Plus. Identifiable by the model numbers A1549, A1586, and A1589.

Ear speaker low sound when making calls

I have a customer that brought his iPhone 6 saying his ear speaker volume was very low and he could barely hear what the other person was saying even in a quiet room. I did some tests and when I use the recorder to record my voice and listen to it through the ear speaker the sound is crisp and clear, I hear very well.

When I try to make a phone call, the sound is very low, even with the volume at maximum. I tried switching SIM card and even replacing the ear speaker and flex cable.

What could be causing this problem ?

what is the net?

I have hearing speaker problem they are very low sound

What the heck! this actually worked lol!

I thought I got fooled at the half of the ritual but it surprisingly works !!! Thank youuu

Most Helpful Answer

This may sound a little awkward and problaby a bit unhygienic but ive had serveral phones with low/rattling earpice sound.

This universal quickfix have worked everytime for me.

No need for tools at all and you dont risk to destroy you phone due to opening it.

Use the tip of your tongue and lick the net.

Then suck the net and after that clean the net with something small.

Repeat 3 Times.

The earspeaker sound will be as new.

thank you! you saved me from tearing down my 6s!!!

Hilarious methodology, but it actually worked for me LOL

Your weird process worked for me too! The screen is clogged. I sucked on my phone 3 times, but I think I need to do it more. Lol!

Thank you so much! It’s not weird if it works. Hahaha

Lol it worked

Most times when I come across this it is a buildup of dirt and oils in the mesh covering the ear speaker on the front panel.

Start by

removing the earspeaker.

Once you have it exposed use a q-tip with isopropyl alcohol to moisten the buildup in the mesh.

Then use a can of compressed air and the sharp tip of the spudging tool to scrape and blow away any buildup. You can hold the panel up to the light to see your progress. It may take a few soakings and shots of compressed air to free all of the buildup.

If there was dirt in the mesh or speaker the sound would be muffled in every circumstance. Like I said, the sound is OK when listening at a recording. When I make phone calls this is where I get the problem.

Thanks Joseph - your tip worked for me. I took off the earpiece assembly and cleaned it until I could see through the mesh, Awesome!

Omg this totally works!! I was scared I’d have to get my phone opened up. Thankyou so much!!

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnno. Do not do it Below is a post by Kim S and works FANTASTIC

OPTIONS

Repeat 3 Times.

The earspeaker sound will be as new

Believe me. I’m really impatient and my Saturday has gone, I found the above and problem solved in 4 minutes No money spent

I don’t know how you came up with this but you’re amazing this actually worked.

A possible fix is to go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Hearing Aids and toggle Hearing Aid Mode to On.

poke the mesh with something small like the sim tray ejector.. poke its in the left Conner of the mesh... but use this temporary because you want to make sure you put new mesh and make sure you don't have a hole during raining days.

I went to the Apple Store. They ran a diagnostic to confirm something was wrong. The tech took out a small brush and cleaned the tiny earpiece. Now it works fine.

Cleaning the grill with a stiff brush worked for me

This may sound stupid, but bear with me. There’s a fine mesh covering the earpiece. It often gets completely clogged with dirt and oils over time. This blocks the sound waves coming from the speaker. If you moisten and suck out the dirt (yeah, some might get in your mouth) this may fix this. I am not joking, search the web and you’ll find that this has been a common issue for older phones.

Is the mesh on the actual screen plugged with dirt or dust? That’s usually the most common issue I come across. Either replace the screen, or if you have old screens laying around replace the mesh that is inside. Obviously option 2 is cheaper.

I have a customer that brought his iPhone 6s plus saying his ear speaker volume was very low and he could barely hear what the other person was saying even in a quiet room. I did some tests and when I use the recorder to record my voice and listen to it through the ear speaker the sound is crisp and clear, I hear very well.

When I try to make a phone call, the sound is very low, even with the volume at maximum

Most likely it’s the dust cover, if cleaning or replacing the dust cover doesn’t fix it then it could be a the actual speaker itself.

I had similar problem fount the screen protector hole haven’t been removed for

ear pice

Yes the dust cover can get clogged with skin oils and dust that can turn into a putty like paste and seal the metal mesh screen blocking the the airflow and the vibrations for the sound making it sound muffled.

Great idea on how to fix it from Kim S. But I work with a lot of others peoples phones that go through some fairly nasty things and if putting your mouth on it is not an option then I would suggest alcohol and a suction cup which works for me.

Although sometimes I have seen other shops or individual people attempting a screen repair which folded the rubber top speaker gasket in front of the top speaker muffling the sound as described. If absolutely necessary ( like the time a customer spilled paint on their phone) you can change the dust cover atteched to the screen quite easily and the cost only a few cents a piece on amazon or eBay.

Omg! People! I thought I had no way of coming back out of a milkshake being dropped on my iPhoneX BUT alas I’m saved!

So first

• wet q tip or ear bud

•put it on your speaker, let the water stay there a bit

•Now here’s the part you need to trust me on! Play a music that has Crazy bass. I played what about me by lil Wayne and it worked so bleh.

• while the song is being played keep your phone in a downright position. the water should fall out of the speaker.

•notice properly cuz the scene is amazing, water vibrates it’s cool. But as the water vibrates and comes out of the speaker, dry it with your dry part of q tip.

See the difference and let me know

i love you Apple users

Do you bat for the other side?

Try turning off the noise cancellation on the Settings. Also try turning on/off the hearing aid compatibility.

this actually worked !! thanks so much !! god bless you.❤️❤️

hello everyone for those of you that are not as thick as 2 short planks and have tryed all the above [including turn up the volume lol] i had same problem with wife iphone 6 for over a year changed speaker cleaned hear port out changed setting but still the same ok here goes go on ebay buy a new screen cost about £6.00 and anyone who can change a plug can change a iphone screen they even come with the tool kit to do the job and by magic she can hear me again doh !

Hearing sound is very low what is cause

I tried everything recommended but had to get a receiver replaced by Apple. Works now

Omg! Amazing, this actually worked!!

JPL will be eternally grateful.