The March 2015 update of Apple's 13" MacBook Pro Retina Display, model A1502, features fifth-generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors and introduces the Force Touch trackpad.

Keyboard and trackpad are unreponsive?

For some reason my macbook keyboard and trackpad are completely non-responsive. I know for a fact that the keyboard and trackpad are not the problem.

Here are some other things I have tried:

1) External keyboard and mouse work perfectly fine. I can log into OS X and everything functions normally with an external keyboard and mouse.

2) I performed an SMC reset using the built in keyboard. As I said, I know the keyboard is good.

3) I can not reset the PRAM using the built in keyboard. I can reset the PRAM with the external keyboard.

4) I have tried to leave the Macbook working till the battery dies then leave it for one night without charging and afterwards restarting it with power supply plugged in and they worked but afterwards they in s random startup they return unresponsive (I have tried this for two times and worked and I trying my third time now)

Please don't fixate on replacing the keyboard and trackpad.

The keyboard works before the chime (SMC reset) and does not work after the chime (can not reset PRAM). It seems like the logic board is turning off the keyboard when it chimes. Not sure what could cause this. Does anyone have any ideas?

I had the same problem and solved it by simply holding down the power button till the computer switched off, then turning it on again so it went into recovery mode and voila it just worked!

I had the same problem and solved it. I connected an external keyboard and a mouse and it worked fine, meaning the usb drives have no problem connecting. Then I went into the System Preferences > Startup Disk > unlocked with user password > clicked the internal Macintosh HD and restarted. After it rebooted, trackpad and keyboard worked fine.

I've previously tried the recovery mode and PRAM reset several times and it did not work. Actually, I've ran into this problem twice before and had the Apple Store replace my entire hard drive and all, and when this happened once again, I was really fed up. Anyways, I hope this solves your problem.

This type of issue can happen on Windows systems due to virus infection.. I'm not familiar with Mac Systems but if you think this advice could help give it a try. The specific device driver gets infected and USB external input devices use a generic driver so that could explain why external input devices work.

I hаd a ѕіmіlаr іѕѕuе, Mу Mасbооk trackpad and keyboard became unresponsive.

Finally I mаnаgеd to rеѕоlvе the problem.

Fоllоw this guіdе hеrе: http://bit.ly/keyboardFix

Hоре thіѕ helps

What is this bullshit spam from Robbin and why can't we flag comments? ^^^

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

Replace the trackpad cable. This commonly goes bad on 2015 13" models, and causes intermittent problems with both the keyboard and trackpad (trackpad needs to be recognised in order for the keyboard to work on this model).

Part is £10 and takes 5 minutes to replace

Thanks a lot I will try this but chow can I prevent this from happening one more time or what is the cause of the problem in the cable

@afalah I believe it is caused by the way the cable is being bent where it is plugged into the trackpad (you will see when opening, it bends back on itself), similar to 13" 2009-2012 hard drive cable issues. They do this since the cable is otherwise too long to fit along the top of the battery nicely.

Not entirely sure though, this issue is very common but not spoken about often, since it causes issues with both the trackpad and keyboard, so people assume it is caused by liquid damage, when it isn't.

Hello from Yangon, Myanmar. I have got same issue. How can I deliver my laptop to fix.

You will have to find someone who can fix this in your area. It is a very easy repair, you just remove the bottom 10 screws, disconnect the battery, unscrew the 2 T5 screws for the trackpad cable shield, then remove the trackpad cable.

@reece I believe you are correct. The way the cable is bent at the trackpad end, is just dumb. It seems the cable is simply 1-2mm to long. I don't get it.. But I have experienced many week components in different macbook models. It always seems to be the same part that fails.

I have the problem with Trackpad and Keyboard not working on a customer's a1502.. Before I go replacing any ribbon cable(s) for a Trackpad or otherwise, can ANYONE answer this..?

Why do both Keyboard and Trackpad work flawlessly outside of Sierra.? Pick ANY Linux distribution - I have 5-7 variants - and boot up to find KB and Trackpad ALWAYS working, ALL the time, without stopping or failing to work.. Thx

This should be a software issue then, I feel. I don't have any Linux distros installed otherwise would have tried this.

Hi Ruben, I am having exactly the same issue as you. I have a MacBook Pro 2015 on High Sierra. When I boot with Ubuntu trackpad and keyboard works perfectly. When I reboot with High Sierra both the keyboard and trackpad not responding.

I start to believe that the problem is with the ribbon like Axel is suggesting, however the fact that the keyboard and trackpad is working with Ubuntu is confusing me a little.

this is pretty simple. And this is Hardware.

Trackpad and Keyboard have "legacy" usb interface which works in Linux. it is blacklisted in OsX system, and that's why when the serial interface fails, it still works in another system.

here's useful video with full explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geGmC1xI...

I had the same problem. It started when I forgot my charger at home and borrowed a MacBook Air charger. A day later the keyboard and trackpad had stopped working. I used an external keyboard and mouse until I have drained the battery. I opened the computer and tried clicking the trackpad cable in place. A day later I got back my charger and the the keyboard and trackpad worked like a charm again.

So I do not know it the problem was me charging the computer with the wrong cable or if the cable had been misplaced or a combination of the both.

EDIT: Since I wrote this post the keyboard and trackpad have stopped working a few more times. But now I have found the solution to my problem. I am pretty sure it is the trackpad connector that there is something wrong with. Disconnecting and reconnection the connector (see step 17 in this guide: MacBook Pro 13" Retina Display Early 2015 Trackpad Replacement) have fixed the problem. I have also bought a new cable and will install that in my computer when it arrives.

I had a similar problem and was trying to hard SMC reset by opening the Macbook pro and unplugging the battery. This did not help, but after trying this I unplugged the trackpad cable and keyboard cables then plugged them back and it worked! I suspect a loose connection with one of them.

Hi all,

a quick question to everybody who have replaced the flex cable and had normal functionality afterwards.

I would like to know if the trackpad still had its click response (force touch or whatever you call it) even though it didn't work?

I ordered a replacement flex cable off of Amazon and after installing it my keyboard and trackpad are still unresponsive. BUT when I click the trackpad, I don't even get a vibrating response telling me it registered my click. When I put the old cable in though, the trackpad and keyboard don't recognise any movement, but the trackpad recognise my clicks and gives a response by vibrating.

Now I'm not sure if the replacement cable is broken or if my issue lies somewhere else.

Greatly appreciate any response!

This problem has to do with the top casing (keyboard). It occurs when the keyboard is replaced with another keyboard of a different model. Unusual power consumption of the new keyboard causes the random trip offs. For example if you try to use another component (eg inbuilt iSight Web cam) that shares the same USB hub, the keyboard/trackpad trips off. Also restarting the system trips off the keyboard/trackpad. There's a temporary fix though...

If the keyboard/trackpad trips off, use the system till battery dies and goes off by itself; leave it for about a day without charging, then plug in the charger and turn on the system. The keyboard and trackpad should come on.

When you have your keyboard/trackpad working; my advise is:

Never restart your system.

When you are through working with it, just close the lid (sleep), DONT SHUT DOWN OR RESTART!

Don't use the inbuilt iSight camera.

GOOD LUCK. Feedbacks would be appreciated

Ammar Falah will be eternally grateful.