First generation Volkswagen Touareg.

intermittent starting problem when engine is warm

After 3 or 4 short journeys the engine won't crank up,sometimes you get a couple of splutters other times when you turn the key it's just dead,leave the car for a couple of hours and it fires up,told i needed a new battery but it hasn't solved the problem,i believe this is happening to other VW TDI V6 engines also,anybody got any answers,it's driving me mad.

forgot to mention it's an 07 model with 60,000 miles on clock,all help,much appreciated .thanks Bill

Can you get the ODBII port scanned to see if there are any error codes logged which may help to point out the problem?

no error codes showing,told it could be the ECT and that they don't always show an error code,or the solenoid needs to be cleaned brushes etc,possibly new starter motor

thanks Bill

Hi!

Have you solved you problem???

I'm having a similar problem!!

Hi,,it was the cranking sensor

Android Fix Kits

A new screen or battery is one kit away.

Android Fix Kits

Most Helpful Answer

I replaced the crank angle sensor and it fixed it. When I scanned it with VCDS it would not show any fault. But with a new Crank angle sensor it's never done it again.

You can access it from under the car it's a bit tight but I got it replaced in 10 mins.

Glad you sorted it G28 Engine speed sensor is also a crank angle sensor just a different term. Cheers

Hi! I had same problem, and got it fixed. Seams like the motors has 2 temperature sensors, onde under the motor and other behind. to make the car start, you both need to have similar temperature. Seams like the if one sensor fails, the motor won't start. And after some hour, temperature gets lower and the car will start again.

I passed about 3 months to figure out, and the car passed about a day running in the dealer to understand the problem.

After that the price for the sensor was about 60 euros, and no longer get this problem.

Hope this can help you!

Hi thanks for you answer, can you point me to the location on the sensors? Did you car still crank over when it was having the problem?

Mine turned out to be the cranking sensor,after getting a new battery installed ,sensor was around £110 ,next thing to happen to me was steering column locked up ,had keys reconfigured,2weeks later same thing,only this time car would not talk to computer ,£2500 later new steering column and two new keys,annoying thing is car has only 61,000 miles on the clock on a 57 plate

no error codes,reading several vw columns people saying it could be an etc needs replaced,and that often it shows no error codes when doing a diagnostic,or the solenoid needs cleaning ,starter motor possibly replaced looks like a common problem but haven't found anyone that has come up with a definite cure yet.

thanks for answering

thanks Bill

Problem solved!

Engine speed sensor G28, with problems

After replacement, no more problems in starting when engine is warm!

For my Touareg V6 3.0 TDI (BKS), 2007, the PN is VW # 077905381K

Many thanks for your tips!

Regards,

Gil

Bill will be eternally grateful.