Laptops manufactured by Asus.

Computer screen blank out

Ok, so the past month or so my asus laptop has been experiencing some black out screens. This typically happens everytime I log on, like immediately once I log on, the screen turns black. Then, I have to close it and open it again. It also happens at random, and could happen multiple times in a row. The screen doesnt completely turn black, you can tell its on. For example, if im watching a video and the screen blanks, the video keeps playing. Also, i noticed that If i adjust the screen position, it also blanks out, even if it is the slightest movement(it just blanked when i was typing this).

is this a battery problem?

Same problem.

My laptop is dell inspiron 5559

my laptop asus x540s same problem

When the screen blacks out, shine a torch at an angle close to the screen to see if you can detect if a display is still there. It will be dim but a darkened room will help.

If you can see the display you most probably have a backlight problem.

This can be caused by (depending on laptop model, you didn't say what model you have) a faulty backlight power inverter, faulty backlight power cable, faulty lid switch, faulty video cable or faulty screen.

If you cannot see the display with a torch, connect an external monitor to the laptop and check its' display when the laptop's screen blacks out.

If the external monitor display stays on, then you either have a faulty video cable, faulty video cable connections at either end (motherboard or screen) or a faulty screen.

If the external monitor display also turns off then you have a faulty GPU or motherboard (which is basically the same thing as the GPU most probably is mounted directly onto the motherboard.

If you can still 'see' the display when the screen goes black it indicates that there is a problem with either the voltage level of the power supply to the backlighting going intermittently faulty or that somehow the connections supplying the power are going more resistive (as best as I can determine the power from the backlighting is supplied from the motherboard and not a separate inverter board in the laptop).

Just wondering if it could perhaps also be a problem with the software control of the backlighting. When the screen dims have you tried pressing Fn + F6 together to see if you can increase the brightness at all?(Fn + F5 dims the screen)

Here is a link to a webpage that shows how to dis-assemble the laptop. It may help if you wish to see if there is anything obvious such as a loose video cable connection etc on the motherboard Unfortunately it doesn't show how to dis-assemble the lid to view the screen end.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/taking-apa...

As I cannot find a service manual online, without a schematic diagram it will be difficult to ascertain where exactly the problem is. It may be that you will have to contact a reputable, professional laptop repair service and ask for a quote to repair the laptop

You can still see a small display(light) when it blanked, even in light.

ASUS Q550LF 15.6in. (1TB, Intel Core i7 4th Gen., 1.8GHz, 8GB) Notebook/Laptop - Black - Q550LF-BBI7T07 . This is my laptop.

Did you ever get a solution? I am having the same problem with my laptop (same model)? Please advise.

It could also be a driver issue. My client recently had ATI Radeon graphics driver version 8, but another software install claimed it needed to be upgraded. The latest recommended was version 15.x. During the install, the screen went dim. External monitor was ok. Reverted back to previous driver version, screen was again visible. I hate device drivers.

I fixed this problem recently. The laptop screen was very dark, yet I could see everything on an external monitor (hdmi cable in this case) and if I used my lamp on the phone close to the screen, I could see everything.

I simply pulled out the battery cable, turned off the computer, then held the start button for 30 seconds (despite starting, keep it in, it will shutoff the computer after a while, and keep counting to 30 seconds from the starting point). Your battery should be empty by now. Attach the battery cable to the computer, and start the computer again.

I have no clue why it works, but it for sure saved me couple of dollars which the computer technician 100% would steal from me, worth to mention included a new part eg inverter.

Hi, I have Asus ux360uak and the same backlight issue. Any time shut down or sleep mode I have to press 30 sec button. It worked for only 1 day, 6-7 times sleep mode and every time 30 sec start button. Does anybody have solution?

Gabriel Wang will be eternally grateful.