A1708 / EMC 2978 — Released October 2016, this entry-level MacBook Pro retains its traditional function keys (as opposed to the OLED Touch Bar). The function key version packs an Intel Core i5 and two Thunderbolt 3 ports.

Strange pop sound sometimes

I have a strang issue, sometimes not often I can hear a pop from my new mbp.

Yesterday it did happen two times in a raw, first pop then 30 sec later pop again.

I can't reproduce it but it sounds exactly like in this video:

https://vimeo.com/205326504

Is it a electronic discharge? Or is it from the speakers?

Is not a "metallic" sound anyway.

Here is an other video of the issue:

https://youtu.be/H2gxz53QTZ4

I have the exact same problem with a Macbook pro from 2012 that i bought from a friend of mine.

As the system is so new I would bring it into an Apple Store to have them check it out.

One thing you want here is documented proof you noted the problem so if in the future you do find it was something that needed attention you have hard evidence you encountered the problem which it was still under warranty.

I understand, also I have some kind of electric sound almost as it loads up electric when I boot the computer.

When I do attache the charger it sounds like this:

6-8 in the video after the normal charger sound you can hear it.

https://youtu.be/6lVq2r8lGR8

It's clearly something wrong with the machine, I'll try to replace it today as I had this for 6 days, its my 3rd MacBook Pro 2016 - I'm thinking of swapping it for a 2015 15" it's 4 core CPU and 16GB of ram on the 2015 modell that they have in the store so it's better then this one and I'm so tired of replacing the machine.

3 Times come on APPLE! That's not OK.

Please do us all a large favor here!

Write an email to Tim Cook (tcook@apple.com). List the system serial numbers and the defect for your other two systems plus this one.

Make it short and to the point of the quality defects and your disappointment. Unless he hears it with proof he's just like our new Prez are in denial of the facts!

Well, it's in with a repair guy and they can hear the noise but they don't know what's wrong with it.

On anything I buy, if I have problems with it during the first year I take out the extended warranty. You can take out Apple Care to extend your warranty another two years as long as it is still within that first year.

I think I would demand a replacement system and make sure before I walked out of the store it was good.

This is not solved as stated.

i have the same issue with my Macbook Pro 2017 13" with Touchbar.

Does anyone have more informations about it/ Have Apple an fix for this annoying issue?

@calby Does the popping sound appear if the speakers are muted? (Could not test it yet)

Thanks & Cheers

I have the same issue, MBP 13" 512GB SSD w/ TouchBar. Pops seemingly randomly... replaced with a new unit within a week and the replacement unit shows the same behaviour, started from a blank install rather than Time Machine backup the second time around, but the issue seems to still exist. Not a clue whats going on, and Apple Store employees seem to give me blank stares when I tell them about the issue I'm having.

I have had the same issues on 2 units. Just got the 2nd unit today - disappointed!

2017 MacBook Pro 13" without the touch bar. SO ANNOYING.

Do we have any updates on this yet? I am noticing the pop more and more frequently now. SUPER ANNOYING!!!!

Calby will be eternally grateful.