iPhone 5s broken home button unable to pass hello screen from reset

i did the factory reset on my iphone 5s, its got a broken home button.

i am stuck at the hello screen, where it ask me to press the home button.

Anyone got a work around. I can order a home button, but it will take a couple of days.

The original home button is broken, the flex cable is separated from the home button.

Then get a new cable

Yep this is the only solution that would work. And say goodbye to touch ID (any other home button used disables touch ID) as the original home button that came with the phone is ripped.

THANK YOU Matthew P worked a charm!!

Thank you worked for me .

New Battery = Faster iPhone
Fix Kits starting at $16.99

Most Helpful Answer

I had this issue on iOS 10.3. If you are stuck at the "Hello, push home button" screen. I just turned the phone off (with the lock/power button) and then when it restarted, it was right past that screen asking me which language I want to choose. Then you can finish setting up the phone and go to settings to turn on the Accessibility home button.

Had the same problem and the restart with power button got my bypass the hello screen! Thanks Chris; also thanks ChiangFing for sharing the concern.

THANK YOU CHRISSSS!!! I got to the at&t store and they did a factory reset and forgot that my home button doesn't work. We called apple and they were no help at all!!! So upset! I'm only 12 and I looked up the situation and I read yours and showed the guy from at&t and he tried it and it worked!! Thank you!!

I'm confused. Do I hold the power button

Omgggg THANKS SO MUCH !!!! THIS REALLY HELPS YOU JUST SAVED ME

Thanks So much chris! im only 10 and this was a hand me down phone from my brother!

was the screen replaced? if so, and the button doesn't feel like it once did; it may be the screws holding in the button itself. i know when I've done replacements and screwed the bracket screws in to tight the button wont press properly.

He's right, also it could be the new display molding might not be quite right, and you'll have to adjust the screw tightening to work for that display

Another trick for easy fix is if it is too pushed in. Bend the metal plate outwards to increase distance from button and metal plate.

If it's too loose or dipped in. Simply do the opposite for the home button Metal plate. For example push it inwards.

There is one way to get into iOS 10's setup and that is using iTunes. When you plug in your iPhone, on the "summary" page, there is "configure accessibility" button. Enable "Voice Over" and then go onto the iPhone and you can double tap the "press home to open" text using your touchscreen

I really struggled with this because I couldn't access the iphone because the home button wasn't working and then the itunes account would prompt me to "respond on the iphone to continue" and I couldn't do that because the only way to do that was to push the home button.

So here are the work arounds I found and what worked for me:

If you can access iTunes and see your phone there (you're lucky):

You need to activate the accessibility function, Voice Over, on your phone.

Connect your iPhone, to a computer with iTunes installed.

In iTunes, select your device.

From the Summary pane, click Configure Accessibility in the Options section at the bottom.

Select the Voice Over and click OK.

Double tap on the Press home to open text.

Once you’re pass the activation, you can disable VoiceOver.

If you can't:

- keep the phone plugged into your computer

-power it off (shut it down)

- restart it.

- at this point, you will probably see a whole bunch of prompts in iTunes. whatever you do, DONT press STOP when the screen pops up to respond on your iPhone

- a prompt will pop up on your iphone if you want to trust this computer

- press trust and proceed to set up your iphone manually

- go immidietaly into settings and turn on assistive touch to activate a floating home button

You can activate Assistive Touch to have a floating software button that will let you press the home button.

Go to Settings App > General > Accessibility > AssistiveTouch (slide switch to the right)

if you're not prompted into SETTINGS to turn the ASSISTIVE TOUCH on it's a painful and slow process, but go back to step 1 above in iTunes and turn on VOICE OVER

- then click on "Press Home to Unlock" (at the bottom of the screen, just above home button) messsage until it's highlighted

- double tap the highlighted message - it will prompt you to enter the security code

remember:

- 1 tap - select option on screen

- 2 taps - acts as a a confirmation of selection

- 3 fingers - scroll

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/604...

Hope this helps. It took me about 3 hours to put all the pieces together and get it to work

Thank you Sylvia N!!

To get past the HELLO screen whit a broken home button you can disconect and reconnect the battery and you will see that now you can choose the language and country, afther finishing setup you can start assistive touch in settings.

I did this and it still wouldn't respond to my input to select the language. Hello screen is !&&*!

ChiangFeng will be eternally grateful.