iPhone 5s broken home button unable to pass hello screen from reset

i did the factory reset on my iphone 5s, its got a broken home button.

i am stuck at the hello screen, where it ask me to press the home button.

Anyone got a work around. I can order a home button, but it will take a couple of days.

The original home button is broken, the flex cable is separated from the home button.

Then get a new cable

Yep this is the only solution that would work. And say goodbye to touch ID (any other home button used disables touch ID) as the original home button that came with the phone is ripped.

THANK YOU Matthew P worked a charm!!

Thank you worked for me .

Most Helpful Answer

I had this issue on iOS 10.3. If you are stuck at the "Hello, push home button" screen. I just turned the phone off (with the lock/power button) and then when it restarted, it was right past that screen asking me which language I want to choose. Then you can finish setting up the phone and go to settings to turn on the Accessibility home button.

Had the same problem and the restart with power button got my bypass the hello screen! Thanks Chris; also thanks ChiangFing for sharing the concern.

THANK YOU CHRISSSS!!! I got to the at&t store and they did a factory reset and forgot that my home button doesn't work. We called apple and they were no help at all!!! So upset! I'm only 12 and I looked up the situation and I read yours and showed the guy from at&t and he tried it and it worked!! Thank you!!

I'm confused. Do I hold the power button

Omgggg THANKS SO MUCH !!!! THIS REALLY HELPS YOU JUST SAVED ME

Thanks So much chris! im only 10 and this was a hand me down phone from my brother!

There is one way to get into iOS 10's setup and that is using iTunes. When you plug in your iPhone, on the "summary" page, there is "configure accessibility" button. Enable "Voice Over" and then go onto the iPhone and you can double tap the "press home to open" text using your touchscreen

From that point, you can enable display of a "soft" (onscreen) home button. This restores all of the functionality of your phone. The only inconvenience is that the soft home button covers up some of the display screen real estate. However, it can be relocated, and can be adjusted for transparency.

To create the "soft" home screen button:

Settings > General > Accessibility > AssistiveTouch > ON

you are amazing

woaahhh !! it worked thanks

what do you mean by summary page, i have no such page

It's first page that pops up when you select your iOS device in the upper left hand corner of iTunes.

I really struggled with this because I couldn't access the iphone because the home button wasn't working and then the itunes account would prompt me to "respond on the iphone to continue" and I couldn't do that because the only way to do that was to push the home button.

So here are the work arounds I found and what worked for me:

If you can access iTunes and see your phone there (you're lucky):

You need to activate the accessibility function, Voice Over, on your phone.

Connect your iPhone, to a computer with iTunes installed.

In iTunes, select your device.

From the Summary pane, click Configure Accessibility in the Options section at the bottom.

Select the Voice Over and click OK.

Double tap on the Press home to open text.

Once you’re pass the activation, you can disable VoiceOver.

If you can't:

- keep the phone plugged into your computer

-power it off (shut it down)

- restart it.

- at this point, you will probably see a whole bunch of prompts in iTunes. whatever you do, DONT press STOP when the screen pops up to respond on your iPhone

- a prompt will pop up on your iphone if you want to trust this computer

- press trust and proceed to set up your iphone manually

- go immidietaly into settings and turn on assistive touch to activate a floating home button

You can activate Assistive Touch to have a floating software button that will let you press the home button.

Go to Settings App > General > Accessibility > AssistiveTouch (slide switch to the right)

if you're not prompted into SETTINGS to turn the ASSISTIVE TOUCH on it's a painful and slow process, but go back to step 1 above in iTunes and turn on VOICE OVER

- then click on "Press Home to Unlock" (at the bottom of the screen, just above home button) messsage until it's highlighted

- double tap the highlighted message - it will prompt you to enter the security code

remember:

- 1 tap - select option on screen

- 2 taps - acts as a a confirmation of selection

- 3 fingers - scroll

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/604...

Hope this helps. It took me about 3 hours to put all the pieces together and get it to work

Thank you Sylvia N!!

love u Sylvia , u save me. so much love for you . its works 100 % ....... and thanks a lot

Amazing! This advice is so useful. I can now get pass the Hello screen successfully. Thank you so much.

was the screen replaced? if so, and the button doesn't feel like it once did; it may be the screws holding in the button itself. i know when I've done replacements and screwed the bracket screws in to tight the button wont press properly.

He's right, also it could be the new display molding might not be quite right, and you'll have to adjust the screw tightening to work for that display

Another trick for easy fix is if it is too pushed in. Bend the metal plate outwards to increase distance from button and metal plate.

If it's too loose or dipped in. Simply do the opposite for the home button Metal plate. For example push it inwards.

I had the same problem. What I did is hold the power button until it shows “ slide to power off”. Do it, and wait a minute or two. Then turn it back on. I’m really sorry but from here I don’t remember what I did. Maybe this will get you to a new screen? All I remember is it made a difference. If more help is needed, contact me and tell me what it changed I can help from there. I hope this little information helps.

To get past the HELLO screen whit a broken home button you can disconect and reconnect the battery and you will see that now you can choose the language and country, afther finishing setup you can start assistive touch in settings.

I did this and it still wouldn't respond to my input to select the language. Hello screen is !&&*!

I’m sorry LL but you are wrong I agree with Tracy Walker

I've tried everything but nothing seemed to work. Lastly I thought I'll backup my old iphone with assistive touch settings turned on and I restored the backup to the new iPhone and luckily assistive touch appeared on the screen. Not sure if it works for you, but give it a try.

There’s few options for it. When I had the same issue with my iphone 7 plus, I made a backup with assistive touch on a different iphone and restored it. If it doesn’t work for some reason, just shut down your device and start it by holding volume down+power button, then it will by pass the home button screen.

Just get a knew phone and the problem is solved

i broke my whole screen and the home button game off, im guessing the cable tore off and now i got the screen fixed but can’t press the home button. Now i’m stuck on “press home to upgrade”. someone help me with this issue i can’t do anything about this

If you can’t get past the home button when it à says hello what do you do

Hi there, how can I find the apn iphone 5s A1457 battery?

You have to connect it iTunes , press the symbol for your phone and you will have to scroll down. After that, it show “accessibility” you click that and turn on voice over. After that , when the “press home button comes up” you have to select it and then double tap it and it will work as if you had a home button and let you through. To return to the original settings, go back to “accessibility” and click off and then press done and then you will be good to go!

Hi, what did you end up doing to setup the phone in the end? I am having the same problem.

Thank you

Just Restart your iPhone you will get different screen

when you get to the hello screen, shut down your phone with the power button, wait for it to turn off fully.. then hold the off button to turn back on and it should come strait up with different languages to use from, then skip everything so you can get to the settings and put on AssistiveTouch in accessibility in settings. then go along to set up your iphone

ChiangFeng will be eternally grateful.