LG's flagship smartphone, with a unique slide-out battery and detachable I/O module supporting multiple hardware expansion options. Released in April 2016.

65 Questions View all

dropped phone down toilet

Dropped my lg g5 down the toilet I have dried it out and it seems to work but the touch screen comes on but does not respond when trying to access it but when the phone goes into stand by and you tap the screen it comes on but does not respond to touch is this a fault with the proximity sensor or the screen

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 1
Add a comment

2 Answers

Chosen Solution

Hi,

As you know water and electronics and electricity are not a good mix.

The minerals in the water (all water except distilled water) cause corrosion and water being a good conductor provides circuit paths for the electricity which were not in the phone's operating design and could damage the components. The corrosion process starts straight away

First do not turn on your phone and then you need to with the phone turned off, remove the battery as soon as possible from the phone to minimize further damage.''

Then you need to dis-assemble the rest of the phone and clean all the affected parts using Isopropyl Alcohol 90%+ to remove all traces of corrosion and water. Do not use "rubbing alcohol" as in some cases this is only 70% and is not as effective. If you do check the label to verify the amount

Here is a link that describes the process.

Electronics Water Damage

You may have to replace the battery as it is very hard to recover a battery from water damage.

As always with electronics, especially surface mounted PCBs be gentle when handling and especially when brushing away the corrosion. You do not want to remove any components from the board.

Hopefully after you have done all this the phone might possibly work correctly again.

Here is a link to the ifixit guide(s) for repairing your phone.

LG G5 Repair

If this process seems too daunting, take your phone to a reputable, professional mobile phone repair service experienced in water damage repair and ask for a quote for a repair. If you decide to do this, do it sooner than later.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 4

Comments:

Hi the battery did not get wet it was only in the water for about a second

by

Hi,

Fair enough. I stated that it "may" have to be replaced, not that it will have to be replaced. A lot depends on how quickly it is removed from the phone. If the phone is still wet inside and the battery is still in, there is the potential for the battery to discharge to a point beyond recovery, even with the phone switched off, due to the water providing the electrical circuit paths.

by

Add a comment

Try opening it, and fill it with rice to completely dry it. After 24 hours, take the rice out and look at a teardown to see if your device is wired improperly.

Update 2/2/17

Actually not rice just dry it with a hair dryer but DO NOT microwave as that is dumb and stupid.

Update 3/2/17

Apperantly rice isnt the way to go, use Isopho whatever alcohol to clean the inside and remove corrosion.

Was this answer helpful?

Score -1

Comments:

I have striped the phone down cleaned with alcohol seems to all be ok but the does not recognize touch

by

Hi @kurt_1411

IPA 90%+ or an UltraSonic cleaning bath are the only ways to ensure that the effects of water and corrosion are properly removed.

This link may be of interest to you.

Don't Put Your Device in Rice. Here's Why...

by

Hi @lesliejellicoe,

Did you disconnect the screen flex cable from the systemboard and clean the contacts on the end of the cable and in the board connector with IPA 90%+ as well?

Also use a magnifying glass to check the components on the systemboard to see if any are damaged (burnt or corroded).

by

Add a comment

Add your answer

lesliejellicoe will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 16

Past 7 Days: 121

Past 30 Days: 510

All Time: 3,886