My voice muffled on calls unless I use speaker

Hello, I've seen a couple variations of this question but not my exact problem on the iPhone 6. When I speak to people on a call, they say I'm very muffled; however, if I put it on speaker they can hear me fine, and I CAN record voice memos, video, etc. This is a brand new headphone/lightening charger/speaker assembly. Sadly, I can't go back to the place that did it because I'm now posted overseas.

Any thoughts? There's no gunk in the microphone, and it's not the case - have cleaned and swapped out cases and tried no case - no difference.

You have two mic's on your phone which is why you sound normal on speaker phone. I would take a pin, earring or something small to clear out the small circular holes on the left hand side of your charging port as that is where your mic is located. Alot of my customers either get pocket lint or other small material stuck in those holes and it muffles your audio. If you can confirm that it has been cleaned very well then your next step is to replace the audio/dock ribbon cable on your phone. If you arent comfortable with opening phones you can take it to a repair shop, send it to me or attempt the repair yourself from the video below.

iPhone 6 Lightning Connector Assembly Replacement

Ah - ok, I didn't realize the other mic was for speaker. It does look like the mic you reference is clear of debris. I'm guessing that the one I had put in is defective. The new one was needed because of a bad lightening port, which works fine. Could a bad installation be the issue, or should I just go ahead and buy a new assembly? I'm overseas and can't send you the phone.

So check this when you replace the bottom lighting port ribbon cable there is a thin plastic protective adhesive strip that covers the actual mic. Make sure that it is removed before putting the mic into place. could be something as simple as that or it could be that the mic ribbon cable got torn somehow during installation or it could be the part you got is no good all together.

Alexei Monsarrat will be eternally grateful.