Complete how-to and replacement guides for the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X.

Should you use alcohol wipes on iPhone screen?

I bought a tempered glass screen protector and it came with alcohol wipe to clean the screen before putting on the protector. I have seen many videos of people using these wipes to clean their iPhone before putting on the screen protector. However, i have been searching around on the net if you should use this or not. Every page i visited said that you shouldnt use it because it will make the oleophobic coating go away.

I used the alcohol wipes on another iPhone i own, and still if i cant confirm that the oleophobic coating has disappeared, because the screen protector is on top, i dont have any problems. But if i would eventually remove the tempered glass screen protector would my iPhone be missing the oleophobic coating, even tho alcohol evaporates and that the screen protector alcohol wipes contain so little (rubbing) alcohol???

Just give everything about that to me.

I need to know!

Alcohol is fine.

Well...that actually depends on which form of alcohol you are talking. 99% IPA? Absolutely fine. 70% rubbing alcohol from the drug store? Should be OK but it will probably leave streaks from the high water content.

Most of the people who say not to use alcohol have no idea what they are talking about and are just repeating what they think they have heard. You have to remember than an iPhone screen isn't an LCD on the outside. Its either Gorilla Glass or a knock off. Alcohol will evaporate way before it has a chance to chemically react with the glass. But even on a naked LCD without any glass, OCA or polarizer, 99% IPA is what I used to clean them with.

With all that being said, I use Zeiss lens cleaner on the phones that I work on. Mostly because I don't want my customers opening up their new phone and being hit with a blast of alcohol. Instead it just smells clean.

To sum it all up: use whatever you want. I've tried damaging screens with random chemicals because...well...I have issues. The worst reaction I got was from leaving 99.9% acetone on a screen overnight and all that did was make a white mark.

But wont the alcohol ruin the oleophobic coating on the iPhone screen?

99% IPA will evaporate before it chemically reacts with anything.

Would Isopropyl alcohol do the job

OMG I love the smell of Zeiss lens cleaner! Hahaha!

1. Hit <enter> to insert another list item, and <enter> twice in a row to end the list. To get subitems, repeat the bullet character once for each level of indent you want (e.g. ##)

We install somewhere aroung 2500 screen protectors per year between 2 retail stores. The answer is to not REGULARLY use alcohol to wipe your screen. We use 70% alcohol pads with very light pressure before polishing screens with Kimwipes, a one time use microscope cleaning cloth.

You will do absolutely no damage to the coating if you us an alcohol pad once. I probably wipe down my own phone with 70% alcohol about once a month.

But I also caution every customer not to do it daily. I have no idea whether 50 alcohol cleanings or 500 cleanings would fully strip the coating, but I operate on the assumption that cleaning daily is a very bad idea.

If you are using a tempered glass screen protector than the protector itself has an oleophibic coating on top. Generally the cheap screen protectors have their coating applied using a spray on process. Our screen protector manufacturer switched to using vacuum deposition a couple years ago. Our price increases by 5-10% but the oleophobic coating does seem to last much longer. than before. My takeway from this is that the cheaper the screen protector, the more likely is is to have a coating that wears away quickly.

Daniel Kendel will be eternally grateful.