iPhone 6 Screen Replacement Backlight Issues

My screen on my iPhone 6 had been cracked for awhile so I decided to replace the screen. I have been replacing screens for a long time and this is probably the 5th or 6th screen that I've put on this device. I ordered a screen off of Amazon and replaced it how I normally would. However, on this screen, I noticed that one of the flex cables had a little piece of transparent tape that held it so it would be facing the incorrect direction in order to install it. Subsequently, I removed this film and saw that it seemed to be exposed ribbon cable. Not having ever experienced this issue, I thought nothing of it and replaced the screen like normal. The phone worked fine for a couple hours, then seemed to go completely black and would only return to working properly if I applied pressure to the bottom right hand corner of the screen. After a few hours of this working, the screen was permanently stuck on about 1% brightness. When I returned home, I reinstalled the old cracked screen and things pretty much went back to normal, except that the phone flickers a little bit and brightness only works between the normal lowest brightness setting and about 25% (everything above 25% looks the same).

I have looked at a variety of other forums and have seen that this unprotected cable could have caused a short in the backlight of my phone and would have to be re-soldered in order to fix the phone; however, this doesn't exactly explain why the old screen is still working and why the brightness is not working completely normally. What else could possibly be done to fix this issue?

Also, if I replaced another individual's phone with this same screen with the same process, could I possibly just add a piece of electrical tape over the exposed cable in order to prevent it from having these problems?

You damaged your backlight, it's on the logic board. No, don't put that on someone else's phone. You'll get the same result

My question was that if I cover the exposed cable with electrical tape, will it prevent this short circuit from occurring

sounds likely, also sounds a little risky

Andrew Berend will be eternally grateful.