The March 2015 update of Apple's 11" MacBook Air features fifth generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors, resulting in slightly increased performance and battery life.

SMC Problem Reference Code PFM 006

Fan is running all the time, while the laptop is totally cool and also well aired.

Diagnostics returns with SMC-Problem, Reference Code PFM 006.

SMC reset attempts do not change anything. What can be done?

Can you give us some more background here. Did you spill something into your system or sit it down on a wet surface? Did you bang it?

Sounds like you have something running that shouldn't be: Virus, malware, or even spyware! Or the drive is having problems.

At this point I would make a backup of your data files and anything important. You'll need to make a bootable drive to run Disk Utility to make sure you don't have a bad drive. If the drive shows its OK, then you'll need to wipe the drive down and install a fresh copy of the OS.

Once you get to this point you'll need to be careful you don't re-infect your system. Maybe it's a good time to get a good antivirus app and check your backup drive to make sure the files are clean before copying them back on. I would also recommend you make sure the apps you install are from the original source (App Store or original creator of the app. Not off of any free site as some of these are infected.

Lastly make sure your drive has some free space. SSD's need it more so than HD's. My rule of thumb is to leave 1/3 of the drive free if the drive is less than or equal to 256 GB on 512 GB and larger you can reserve 1/4. If your systems RAM is limited to 8 GB you'll need the extra space for virtual RAM more so.

Dear Dan, No nothing spilled into the laptop and it did not drop or get banged. The worst that happened to it: it got transported several times in a padded back pack on planes and trains.

The story with the fan is lengthy. It started to act up last September but returned to normal after I stopped Drop Box to run all the time. Two weeks later the fan started up again for a month. One night 2/3 through backing up my home directory the fan stopped running again and everything seemed normal (when the fan is going full force start-up is very slow erratic, also the computer is very slow. Activity though is very low). Anyhow the fan then started to act up again about three weeks ago.

I wonder whether there is a fully temperature gauge.

I have the same issue as this with the same MacBook Air. It occurs whatever I boot from: a clean install or various other USB boot drives that I use regularly that are no trouble and are vanilla installs with no extras at all. With that in mind I think that the issue cannot be related to software.

In fact as I write I have just run Apple Hardware Test (by starting up with the D key pressed) and the fan is still running flat out, and did so through the test apart from a few brief slowdowns while AHT did some particular test.

It does appear to be a hardware-related issue. This one also has had no liquid spilled—though that was good to consider as I have seen MacBook Pro 13" 2011 with liquid spill and they behave just like this one does.

In Activity Monitor the system CPU Load is 70%, big red bar. The kernel_task process is using 270%. The fan is running at 6500 rpm, and the temps are all way down in the 30's.

I've done further investigation, and discovered some damage to one of the surface mount devices near the battery connector, so this one is a hardware issue. Not sure whether it is related to liquid though. Picture here: Damage to logic board MacBook Air 2013 11" So I guess this is a power-related issue indeed.

I used Macs Fan Control to check the temps and fan speed.

Guy

How about downloading TG Pro It should help in isolating a thermal issue which is hardware based. Let us know what you find.

Sorry your image shows corrosion so it did get wet some how.

Your logic board will need repair or you could just replace it. If you have a 4GB model that might make worth it.

Elmar Vogt will be eternally grateful.