Touch ID not working after battery replacement

I replaced my battery and after putting everything back together the touch screen doesn't work. Says it can't be activated. I did have some problems removing the battery so I may have done something trying to get it out. Any ideas?

Make all the connections to test the touch screen to make sure the screen is working. Disconnect the battery and then reconnect it. That is what worked for me

Most Helpful Answer

@ Ben.

You can't put home button cable in and then connect battery cable on a 5S, it's almost impossible.

After the display is plugged in, and tested, disconnect the battery, then reconnect the battery. Then you plug in the home button cable, then the clasp for it, then close the display, then turn it on. The Touch ID should work then

My bad I worded it wrong and that I knew that..

Sounded fairly obvious to me, just figured he wasn't catching on

Thanks iMedic that worked

@theimedic Perfect instructions. Thanks!

Hi. Thought I'd add my experience to this. Touch ID stopped working on mine after the battery change and I did the whole disconnect battery thing but it didn't work. Then I realised my speaker wasn't working either. So I disconnected the speaker (just next to battery connector) and reconnected it. Voila- both touch ID and speaker working again.

Hey Micheal,

Having the same problem after battery replacement.. :/

Did you fix touch ID problem? If yes, please advise.

I followed İMedic recommendation as stated above. And it worked!

Thanks...

Replaced battery on 5s now I can’t use my phone. Touch screen doesn’t work. Can’t enter passcode. Faint vertical lines on the right side of the screen and small squares along the top. Reconnected everything twice. No luck. Must have done something wrong but can’t figure it out.

After installing my battery replacement from iFixit, I had TouchID issues too. Couldn't be initialized or something. I would get the message repeatedly on the home screen, but couldn't set up TouchID in Settings. I even disassembled the phone again and followed the accepted answer on this thread regarding the proper order for reconnecting the screen and battery. It didn't help. I thought perhaps doing things in the wrong order prior had damaged something and TouchID was just never going to work on this phone again.

While troubleshooting a reboot issue with the same phone, I came across an article that suggested doing a settings reset. I tried that and it fixed the issue for me.

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.

I hope that helps!

I tried everything in this thread including the reset all settings above. What finally did the trick is a hard reset (ie, Erase All Content and Settings). I did do an iCloud backup before and restore after and that did not affect the touch id, it still worked after the hard reset.

The previous suggestions in this thread will likely fix your problem, but in case they don’t, here’s one more thing to try. I unplugged/replugged the battery and home connectors so many times and it just wasn’t working for me. :)

Michael Huey will be eternally grateful.