Repair and disassembly guides for food cooling appliances including refrigerators, freezers and fridge-freezers.

Why my refrigerator stops working and not getting ON again.

I had a refrigerator whose specifications are as belows

Make : Videocon

Capacity : 180 litres

Supply : 230V, 50 Hz Ac

date of purchase : 2 apr 2007

As soon as i start supply of my refrigerator it switches ON and after almost 4-5 minutes it switch OFF again and doesn't switch ON again. During the ON period (4-5 min) it does not have cooling effect.

Please tell me the possible causes of fault.

Shaikh Sohail

India

9823612071

Thermostat know is set properly.

The compressor starts running when i turned ON the power and after 4-5 minutes the compressor stops and the refrigerator also stops. And now if i unplug the supply and again connect (switch ON) then same thing happens.Compressor gets start for some time and again gets OFF.

Is the thermostat knob turned to the proper setting? If not, reset it.

Next, see if the compressor motor is running

The compressor is a football-sized case with no apparent moving parts. It's on the outside of the refrigerator at the back near the bottom. If it is humming or making a continuous noise and your refrigerator is still not cooling, there may be a more serious problem with one or more of several different components, I recommend contacting a qualified appliance repair technician for further help.

If you can give a more detailed description of the problem I might be able to give you a better answer.

good answer +

sohail will be eternally grateful.