Apple's 2016 revision to their laptop lineup targeted at professional users. Features a 15-inch, 2880-by-1800 Retina display, quad-core Intel Core i7, 256 / 512 GB /1 TB / 2TB storage options, 16 GB RAM, and a keyboard equipped with a Touch Bar. Released November 2016. Features Model A1707.

Are the keycaps replacable?

I was hoping to be able to move the keycaps around on my 2016 MacBook Pro 15" (I'm using a Dvorak keyboard layout). This was fairly easy to do on my 2013 MBP, but I'm afraid to break something if I attempt to pry these new keycaps.

I just broke two keys. The replacement of the entire top-case will cost me 500 EUR:-(

Most Helpful Answer

The keys on these models are prone to breakage because of the 2 "hooks" at the bottom of the key. Also a Dvorak user I have been popping off my keycaps on every MacBook I get since 2008. I'm a developer in SF, change jobs alot, so thats about 5 MacBooks lol... anyway we always popped those off from the bottom corner-ish area. DONT do that to here, come at these from the TOP, if you get the 2 top clamps to pop off, gently pull the key upwards - you'll be good.. Be ultra careful not to grab the butterfly too. These butterfly's have to be attached into the button (it's siliconed to the mb). If you break one like I did you gotta take the whole assembly out, put the new butterfly "into" the button (there are 4 indents where it attaches under the button) then silicon the button (with butterfly attached) back to the mb BEFORE you can snap the key back on.

I say this from my TB13 with 6 broken keys. I'm looking for replacements right now. lol.

I broke the butterfly hinge. How did you end up fixing it? I bought the "S" key from an online reseller but i don't know how to install it (i haven´t received it yet...).

Can't i just pop off the broken butterfly mechanism and glue the new one in?

The silicone part that the butterfly mechanism attaches to is indeed glued onto the board. I couldn't replace the butterfly without breaking the part off - it seems like the butterfly is not directly replaceable as in previous models.

Take care.

What did you end up doing?

Use a skin instead of moving the keys:

http://kbcovers.com/dvorak-keyboard-cove...

Thanks for your suggestion! I thought about that, and there are a few reasons why that is not really what I'm looking for. I would prefer to keep my keycaps plain, both for the backlight, as well as for the feel. Also, I'm using a non-US (Norwegian) keyboard which I doubt I'll be able to find the appropriate stickers for.

Sorry, I have not had one of these 2016 machines in hand as of yet so I can't give you a definitive answer.

vegather will be eternally grateful.