How do I get rice out of headphone jack?

So I dropped my phone in the ocean and it automatically started saying I was in headphone mode but I wasn't. I then got home and put in rice hopping for it to get rid of extra moisture/dampness from the drop. I then had a look up the headphone jack and saw I had a piece of rice stuck all the way at the top. What should I do? Any answers would be appreciated

@katescarbrough since you hopefully found out by now, rice does not work. It is the equivalent of doing nothing. The very first thing you want to do is to not try to restart, sync or otherwise trying to use the phone. This may further damage your phone. The next thing to do is to clean it. Disassemble your phone using these guides . You must remove all EMI shields. If you do not remove those, you might as well not do anything. After you removed those, clean the whole board, connectors and all with +90% isopropyl alcohol. Follow this guide , and even so it was written for a 3G all the points are still pertinent to your phone. While you clean your board, check for any obvious damage, like burned or missing components etc. When it is properly cleaned, replace the battery. All these steps are to avoid delayed failure caused by corrosion. Best thing to do would be to clean it with an ultrasonic cleaner, but if you do not have access to one, this will at least help. Once all this is done, reassemble your phone and reevaluate. To remove the grain of rice, you can try a small needle and a vacuum to see if you can break it up and remove the fragments with the vacuum. Otherwise you will have to replace the lightning connector. Use this guide for that. Even with all this, water damage has only a small chance to be fully repaired, but at least you can give it a try.

Rep: 1

iPhone Image

Guide

Repairing iPhone Liquid Damage

Difficulty: Difficult1 - 2 hours

I just used a toothpick and it came out.

actually rice does work. or at least i hope so. i dropped my phone in water five minutes ago and i put mine in rice. i dropped my old phone in the pool when i was at the beach and when i dropped it in the toilet and i put rice on it and it helped. im just hoping for the best. and all you have to do it use a toothpick.

Score -1

rice only works when it's directly in contact with water. It's better to use those silica gel packets you find in shoes etc.

kate will be eternally grateful.