Volume down button not working

A while back my volume down (-) button stopped working all together. The volume up (+) still works fine. I did some searching and tried several software fixes with no success. This morning I came across a post on an apple discussion site where one poster described my problem and a temporary fix that seems to work (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/489...)

It is basically flexing the case in a twisting motion while pressing the volume down button.

This of course makes me wonder if there is something loose inside that I might be able to tighten if I open up the phone. As I have no experience opening this phone I thought I would ask here and find out what all the people with experience think.

Yes, the phone was opened once before by Apple to replace the battery. It was a few years ago though.

Is that fixable and can it be DIY or does it need to go back to apple? What is the best way to confirm that the torn cable is the issue?

same here as my volume down button has quit working, too. but i can't remember for how long this issue persists. do you have ios 10.1 beta installed? volume up works fine so i'm not sure if the reason for the problem is founded in hard- or software.

Most Helpful Answer

Sounds like a teared volume button cable that needs to be replaced. Was the phone opened / repaired before? Especially for battery?

If you want to repair the volume buttons you can get the part from here:

iPhone 5 Audio Control and Power Button Cable

Guide on how to replace it:

iPhone 5 Audio Control and Power Button Cable Replacement

iPhone 5 Audio Control and Power Button Cable Image

Patrick Williams will be eternally grateful.