Apple's line of MacBook Pro laptops was intended for the professional and power users. The MacBook Pro line includes the MacBook Pro 13" Unibody, MacBook Pro 15", MacBook Pro 15" Unibody, MacBook Pro 17", and the MacBook Pro 17" Unibody.

How to backup Apple Mail email database automatically?

I am a daily soap user of apple mail which is linked to my Gmail account. I suffered from a very sad case where I lost all my emails due to the server crash. Only 70% of my emails were recovered leaving me even more frustrated. Leaving the past behind, I wanted to make arrangements that this never happens again. Now I am looking for a backup solution that can backup my incoming emails on my hard drive, and more importantly that the solution should automatically backup the email as soon as it is received in the mailbox.

Helpful solutions will be really appreciated. Thanks

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

Most Helpful Answer

If you want to fiddle with it - I have not done exactly this, but... - maybe you can use "folder actions": Find your Mail folder in your library, ctrl-click the folder and choose Services at the bottom of the popup, and Folder Actions setup.

I remember I found a script at some point, when I needed an FTP program to automatically upload any NEW doument that arrived in a designated folder.

This is similar. You could save your mail folder by having a folder action copy any changes to the mail folder to your cloud Mail copy folder (allow time for email download to finish, eg when checking your mail in the morning or at email rush hour, otherwise you may end up with copies of half arrived emails. Or you could set the folder action to only upload, when your email program is idle or closed. NB: Email attachments go into a different folder in the Library). Or you could backup to a mounted hard drive folder, or USB stick.

It may not be exactly what you had in mind, funtionality wise, but you will get an instantaneous copy.

Good luck with finding and editing a script. It CAN be done.

And if you find or make a functioning script, please let people know here.

Best solution is to export your email database, that way your emails also remain safe and secure. Here's the procedure:

Export mailboxes

Select one or more mailboxes, then choose Mailbox > Export Mailbox.

Choose a folder or create a new folder, then click Choose.

Mail exports the mailboxes as .mbox packages. If you previously exported a mailbox, Mail doesn’t overwrite the existing .mbox file; it creates a new .mbox file, such as My Mailbox 3.mbox.

You can also view this forum discussion to how to backup Apple Mail emails database

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/805...

Mail Backup Mac is the utility for you if you are a business owner and looking for some secure way to Apple mail Backup important email content along with quick access to ii in the hour of need. Some might argue about cloud storage mediums are more reliable but past experiences suggest exactly opposite, and the fact is data backed up online is vulnerable and not easily accessible. But Mail Backup X stores data locally and also syncs data on portable devices ensuring 100 percent security of data even if the original copy is lost. Download the 15 days free trial of Mail Backup X to test the performance and features now.

Phil Bones will be eternally grateful.