Repair and disassembly guides for HP printers.

hp ink system failure

The ink cartridges are intact and unable to determine the issue.

This pops up on the screen, "There is a problem with the printer or ink system. Turn printer off, then on. If problem persists, contact HP.

Most Helpful Answer

Hi Odalys.

Thanks for posting this question. I never imagined I'd be answering HP questions here but I am glad to do so. I served for 15 years at HP as a Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 Technician, with a specialty in Inkjet Printers (1999-2014). Basically, I'm an HP Printer Subject Matter Expert.

Frankly, I wish I had better news for you. It's time to replace your printer. If you have already turned it off and on, removed the power overnight and tried turning it on again, its likely that the printhead itself within the printer has failed - electrically.

Unfortunately HP doesn't design their consumer printers with repairability in mind.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,

Loren

Thank you for your response.

Odalys Lorenzo if you are not using original HP cartridges it is possible that this is related to the scam that HP is pulling with their firmware. HP has it programed in the firmware for non-HP cartridges to fail at a certain date and for the printer to not recognize 3rd party cartridges. This is not just on recent firmware but has been there for a while.

I have, through multiple occurrences, determined that soaking the print head in a small pan of isopropyl alcohol will remove the clogging ink. I soak the print head for about 1 hour then dump the dirty liquid. Soak it again, then dip it multiple times allowing the liquid to drain. The liquid should be nearly clear. Dispose of the liquid and use paper towels to dry the print head. Tap it gently on the slot side to help get the liquid out of the interior.

Odalys Lorenzo will be eternally grateful.