2

appleman
35

Is it possible to replace the graphics card into a better one?

Hi, thank you for your great work.

I would like to know if it is possible to change the graphics card of my iMac, so that, for example, I can use the OpenCL technology in Mac OS X 10.6. I know from MacTracker that the graphics card connector is MXM.

If it is possible, how? Thank you.

Appleman

Edited by: Sterling Hirsh ( )

2

jacperrin
67

I ordered the card from weloveMacs.com. I had the nvidia 7300 with only 128MB memory. I ordered & installed the NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT VRAM 256MB Video card for $299. It was about $338. Withbexpedited shipping. I did take some pictures that I could send you with comments if you like. I had replaced the HD on this machine before. That was fairly easy. Everything I read about this video card swap made it sound particularly hard and daunting. It really was not.

Yes, the profiler recognized it immediately. My screen is brighter and my games are much faster too. The whole machine seems faster.

Edited by: jacperrin ( )

This is just great! Thank you really very much.

appleman,

Could you send us the pictures? Thanks

appleman,

+ Please send pictures and a description or better yet, contact milo@ifixit.com to set up a guide on this. I would like to do it.

mayer,

2

bac

it might be physically possible, but I've not heard of any great selection of cards that would fit this model, although I've seen at least one place advertising iMac graphics cards (but expensive!!) Not 100% sure cards other than the standard 7300GT and 7600GT would work with this model iMac, I think you may have to also worry about drivers?

Thank you very much! I think I will stay with my 7300 GT :) Appleman

appleman,

1

jacperrin
67

Yes it is possible. I just replaced my ailing 7300 with a new 7600 and it works great! The card and it's thermal channels are at the front of the machine, right under the motherboard, so it is a complicated repair, but well work the labor. I saved about $500. doing it myself.

Where did you get the part? How did you put it in? Does the system profiler recognize it? Did you take any pictures?

mayer,

0

jacperrin
67

I'll add a few pictures with notes tomorrow or Friday.

0

macmanpdx
31

I too just replaced a failing 7300GT 128MB with a 7600GT 256MB card. I found upon disassembling the iMac that the heatsink mounting screws had come loose, causing the card to overheat and fail.

An interesting side note is that the iMac used to have a faint screen burn-in covering the lower half of the display. After replacing the graphics card, the burn-in is gone! :)

-1

Norio Saneshige
1

My graphic card 7300GT is going bad... Would that be possible to replace it my self?

please start your own new question

mayer,