The Canon PowerShot SD870 IS is a digital point-and-shoot camera that was released in late 2007.

Lens error, restart camera - means what?

The lens is stuck in the out position and the screen shows a blurry image. Then, after a moment it goes black and reads "lens error, restart camera" over and over again.

Was the lens assembly pushed on while open, or while adjusting, such as you had it in your pocket and the power was turned on?

not that I know of

Lens errors are fairly common. Usually it's sand or grit interfering with the lens extension mechanism. Or the camera's been dropped with the lens extended. Or the camera has been powered on, but the lens had been blocked preventing its extension. Or the battery ran down with the lens extended ...

Unfortunately, many cameras that fall prey to this can only be corrected by professional repair. But, here are some things that you can do that may correct it. They only seem to work for less than 40% of the lens errors, but if the camera is out of warranty, they're worth a try.

Check out this similar question and associated answer.

lens error restart camara

I have a sd950 is was having the same problem. I took the camera apart in a final last ditch effort, and noticed a little white gear on the side. Would be right side with the camera pointed toward yourself. I used a small flat screw driver to turn the gear and I could feel the lens very slowly moving back in. I only brought the lens back maybe 3mm put the camera back together enough to put the battery back in and press the power button and the lens finished retracting back in.

So you only need to take the back and front covers off to do this fix which is much easier than what I ended up doing though.

I still have this camera because I have a good underwater case for it that I've used for years and still takes great underwater photos.

Ree will be eternally grateful.