Repair and disassembly guides for food cooling appliances including refrigerators, freezers and fridge-freezers.

Amana Side by Side Model ASD2575BRW01 not cooling the fridge

My friend reported to me that her freezer is working fine but the refrigerator is not cooling. I want to take a look at it before I make a service call.

Outside of a faulty fan is there anything I should narrow in on considering it has cooling capabilities? thank you!

Most Frequent Causes for Refrigerator freezer is cold but refrigerator is warm

Cause 1

The Evaporator Coils are Frosted Over

The defrost heater assembly turns on a few times throughout the day to melt away any frost that may have accumulated on the evaporator coils. If the defrost heater assembly is defective, frost will continue to accumulate on the evaporator coils, and the coils will become plugged with frost. If the evaporator coils are frosted over, the airflow through the coils will be restricted, causing the refrigerator not to cool. Check the evaporator coils to determine if they are frosted over. If the evaporator coils are frosted over, test each component of the defrost system.

Cause 2

Evaporator Fan Motor

The evaporator fan motor draws cold air over the evaporator coils and circulates it throughout the freezer. If the evaporator fan is not working, the freezer or refrigerator will not cool adequately. To determine if the evaporator fan motor is defective, try turning the fan blade by hand. If the fan blade does not turn freely, replace the fan motor. Additionally, if the motor is unusually noisy, replace it. Finally, if the motor does not run at all, use a multimeter to test the motor windings for continuity. If the windings do not have continuity, replace the evaporator fan motor..

Cause 3

Damper Control Assembly

The air damper control opens and closes to let the proper amount of cold air into the refrigerator compartment. If the damper does not open properly, it won’t let enough cold air into the refrigerator. Check the damper control to determine if it is broken or stuck closed.

Thank you for your speedy reply Mayer. I will be checking this out this evening and will be sure to let you know how things went.

Bruce Ogden will be eternally grateful.