The Macintosh LC II was released in 1991, as a low-cost color Macintosh. It succeded the Macintosh LC, and was replaced by the Macintosh LC III, all of which followed the "Pizza Box" case design.

Wierd sound at boot

when i boot my Macintosh its plays an wierd sound TICK TICK TICK i pulled it out of my socket and it slowly stopt what is this?!?!? and how to fix it?

If the battery is dead, this model will not boot. But the ticking indicates a failed hard drive.

It's been awhile, are you sure if the PRAM battery is dead the system won't boot? I thought it just lost its settings (date, time and other settings) but still would boot up.

Yes. Apple was replacing logic boards on the first LCs when the boards failed to boot. I contacted them when I was a VAR in 1992, told them it was just the batteries, saved them millions, didn't even get a thanks. I'm sure. On other Macs when the batteries go, you do just lose the date and time, printer drops off and internet setting are gone, but not the original LCs.

@danj - That makes me think about the new style batteries. I have never replaced one in an iMac. Since the date and time are done over the internet automatically, what would be the symptoms of a bad one? Have you ever had one of the new ones fail?

.

@mayer - Now that I think about it, I haven't either ;-}

The oldest systems we have here now are a few '10 iMac's they are left on most of the time so the batteries are very rarely engaged.

If the system never boots up I would suspect the HD is in trouble here. Do you still have the Grey CD system disks that came with your system or have a retail copy? You could try booting up with them.

@danj - A CD just doesn't fit into that floppy disk drive ;-)

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ma...

Original Mac OS: 7.1 Supported Mac OS: 7.1-7.5.1, 7.5.3-7.6.1

Sure it does ;-}

When you use the external SCSI CD-ROM unit like this one: NEC CD-ROM Reader. I still have one kicking around.

Gidion Kluft will be eternally grateful.