A comprehensive set of repair information regarding objects with specified tasks, usually for fixing or building.

Testing Computer Components with Laser Thermometer?

I was working on a MacBook Pro today that is shutting down probably due to overheating. I passed my hand over the board to try to find the heat source. I realized that this just wouldn't cut it. I watch Alton Brown on the Food Network a lot and he always has great new tools. One is a Laser thermometer and you just point it at something to get a temperature reading. So why couldn't I use that on a logic board? My question is, has anyone tried this and is there a thermometer with a very narrow read width that I could use to precisely read individual components? Any ideas? Anybody?

I'm not sure if this is a repair question or a Meta question.

i do this alot, it works really well for me at least... do a search on ebay i got one for like 15$ not to long ago and it works good.

Which one are you using?

mayer will be eternally grateful.