Released June 2012, Model A1278. Intel processor with Turbo Boost, Up to 512 MB DDR5 Video RAM

Replaced hard drive with Samsung SSD 500GB

After I put the new HD in and partitioned the drive, the install took forever, multiple hours. Once it finally finished the computer was crawling. I mean slow... every click the wheel would come up and spin. It's a brand new HD.

My previous HD failed... hardware test came back with 4HDD/11/40000004:SATA(0,0)

So I am starting from scratch with no back up

You're hitting a known issue here! You'll need to replace the SATA cable. I bet if you put the old drive into a case or use a SATA to USB adapter you can still gain access to the files.

Here's the IFIXIT guide you'll need to follow: MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2012 Hard Drive Cable Replacement and here's the part you'll need: MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2012) Hard Drive Cable - Apple P/N 923-0104.

Once you replace the cable you should reformat the SSD and re-install the OS.

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2012) Hard Drive Cable Image

Thanks Dan! I will give that a try.

Thanks again.

Let us know how it goes!

The cable was the problem! Swapped it out and was able to get back into my old HDD.

Thanks again!

Chris will be eternally grateful.