Washer slowly fills with water while not in use, what is wrong?

Recently I noticed my washer will slowly fill with water when not in use. the problem seems to be intermitant and I think it could be mineral build up in the supply valve? Any suggestions would help.

Water-inlet valves eventually fail. One problem that may develop with a water-inlet valve is that it can no longer completely shut off when the electricity is turned off to it. Then, the valve may leak and drip water into the clothes tub--you may notice that your washer has water in it when you haven't used it for a few days. To fix this, replace the valve.

Here's the part and where to get it: http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail...

I've used these people and they are fast and reliable.

They also carry a repair manual for it: http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail...

+ Good stuff. I learned something today.

by David Hodson

+ Good research

by Taylor Arnicar

Thanks for the quick and quality help! -Dave

by Dave H

Excellent research +

by rj713

same thing happened to mine because it was delivered in the winter when they brought it in it was frozen.had to wait 15 minutes for it to thaw.then after 1 month it started to collect water in the tub.i turn the water off after i do the wash so that takes care of it until i replace the valve

by bob133

This is a supplement, NOT a replacement to the well-researched and thorough answer from Mayer, above...

In my washing machine, the hard water deposits blocked up the inlet quite a bit, to the point where it appeared to be failing.

I bought a $10 bottle of CLR, or "Calcium/Lime/Rust," sold in a usually gray bottle and ran the roughly 1/4-gallon container through a warm cycle twice, half of the bottle each time. It cleared out the hard water, and the inlet ran well afterwards.

Twice a year, I use CLR the same way on my dishwasher and soak my shower head in it to remove minerals and hard water buildup. CLR is essential for anyone's cleaning "kit" where water is used-- the sink, bathtub, etc.

Remember, Meyer's post is VERY complete and *most likely* your problem with a slow inlet.

NOTE: On the first cycle, with the CLR in the clothing washer, let the water fill up and sit with water/CLR in it for at least a couple of hours. Also, CHECK YOUR MANUAL to make sure there isn't any reason NOT to use CLR on it... I can't think of any, but I'm not an expert on washing machines.

the CLR suggestion seems to have worked for us. == Update == the CLR seems to have solved the leaking problem for us

by dennis

how does putting clr in the tub with water help the inlet valve decorrode? what am i mising here?

by greg defever

Farspace, silly question but do you put the CLR in the liquid detergent tray, or directly in the wash drum? I assume the latter, as a 1/4 gallon seems like that's too much for a detergent tray. And as it turns out, I actually have the washer used in the video so it literally helps me out! Thank you in advance!

by Tim Woliver

As mayer stated, replacing the valve would be the easiest way to go. If you're going to pull the valve out, you can then visually inspect the inlet and outlet ports to see if there are deposits. There are strainers on the inlet side of the valve where you may see the deposits, particularly the hot water inlet. If there are visible deposits, you could put CLR in a pan and soak the valve to try to remove the deposits. Only put enough in the pan to cover the inlet and outlet ports and not the electrical connections or solenoid.

Are the valves very easy/expensive to replace? No husband here to fix it.

Molly, about $40USD from from here. To see how it's done check this video

by oldturkey03

Regarding the CRL solution mentioned by FarSpace above, I wonder how the CLR flushes through the line and clean the input valve? I ask because the input valve receive water directly from the house supply. So how can we pour CRL in the water supply? Please elaborate. Thanks.

David Troupe, Farspace cleaned the water inlet by pouring CLR in the drum (sounds like it). If you need to clean the valves, follow the advice given by semiretired48

by oldturkey03

Thanks for your reply oldturkey03. So it appears that the inlet valve still needs to be removed regardless (so that semiretired48 can inspect for deposit and then deep the valve into the pan of CLR). That what I understand from the comment.

by Dave Troupe

Yes that is the way I read it as well.

by oldturkey03

"Farspace" mentioned the use of CLR, (thanks "farspace")but did not explain getting it into the inlet valve.. As just putting the CLR into the drum will not get it into the inlet valve, I went a step farther.. Turn off water and disconnect the hoses from the supply line, drain the hoses, pour clr into the hoses, reconnect and run an empty cycle.. this gets the clr running through the valve..

by davidperkey

Hi all, thanks for the thread, it helped point me in the right direction//

"Farspace" mentioned the use of CLR, (thanks "farspace")but did not explain getting it into the inlet valve.. As just putting the CLR into the drum will not get it into the inlet valve, I went a step farther..

Turn off water and disconnect the hoses from the supply line, drain the hoses, pour clr into the hoses, reconnect and run an empty cycle.. this gets the clr running through the valve..

(I am not a repairman and I do not claim to know anything about washing machines, my only experience is fixing my own stuff.... this was simply the easy logical way to get the clr running through the valve)

This process did work for me, My washer was slowly filling when not in use running some clr through the valve must have cleared some deposits that were keeping the valve from fully closing..

** after using clr, I would recommend a couple more empty washes to flush it all out before doing laundry..

I hope this helps someone,, it saved me ..

lastly I did not have to order my valve, as this fixed it but for those that have to replace itk once you have the part number, I would recommend shopping around a bit,, Amazon had my valve for about 35%off what the "Repair Clinic" has it listed for....

Dave H will be eternally grateful.