Fuel pump reset button

2003 Grand Am will not start. Turns over but won't start.

Check in the engine compartment fuse box, it should be near the battery under the hood. The cover should be pretty easy to remove. The fuel pump should be connected through a fuse in slot 48. If that fuse looks good, then you may want to check the fuel pump relay (also inside the engine compartment fuse box). The fuel pump relay is #18 in the fuse box. Start with the car off, and have somebody else put the key in the cars ignition and attempt to start the car while you listen to the relay. If you can hear this relay make a "clicking" noise as the car attempts to start, then it is working properly.

If this doesn't solve the problem, make sure that the engine is actually turning when you attempt to start it. If you can hear the starter motor turning but the engine isn't turning (look at the belt) then the starter may not be engaging (in your car I believe this means that you must replace the whole starter). You can remove and test your starter to confirm whether or not the solenoid is engaging the starter.

Aside from those two things, you may want to look at some of the other fuses/relays associated with starting the car. If you tell me which engine your car has I can give you more things to try.

2001 Pontiac grand am 2.4 liter

2004 Pontiac grand am gt 3.4 v6

2001 Pontiac grand am 3.4 v6 RAM air

2003 pontiac grand am 3.1 liter

Here are 2 links that may fix your problem. These cars have lots of issues with the security system, maybe one of these will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTb1mb7T...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLfnk3sZ... ( This video shows you what relay to pull and replace then car starts, If this works for you, I would replace the relay instead of inserting the old one back.)

dottieleland , There is (NO) fuel reset/shut off switch or button on your 2003 Grand Am.

There are many reasons for your car to crank and not start. Anything from factory security system locking you out, bad fuse/relay, clogged fuel filter,faulty fuel pump, oil sending unit/crank sensor failure, clogged catalytic converter, failing electronic ignition, ECM/PCM,etc.,etc. As a first step best to see if there are any stored trouble codes that could point directly to the fault. Some of the auto parts suppliers offer free code reading like Pepboys, Nappa, Advanced auto parts,etc and some of the guys are very knowledgeable and may have seen the issue often and put you on the right track. Find below some trouble shooting links that may help solve your issue. If not wanting to do the repair your self have a good local auto repair shop have a look /diagnose and estimate repair.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/car_wont_s...

http://jalopnik.com/heres-how-you-diagno...

http://allmansautomotive.com/when-a-car-...

Replaced fuel pump, checked relay,it's clicking checked fuses. Still can't get fuel pump to work

John, fuses all good, relay good, and you are certain the pump does not come on, the pump only runs for a few seconds to build pressure unless the engine runs. with an assistant, listen close to the fuel tank to see if pump does come on while the assistant turns the key to the on position only(not start) if no sound check to see if you are getting power at the fuel pump(key on) with a DVOM.

Try your fuel filter

Thank you scentina michael i do need to change filter .i have one in my trunk havent installed it yet like your pic by the way.

My 2003 Grand Am sometimes wont start. I've noticed that when it wont start, the security light is flashing. To resolve the problem I have to leave the key in the ignition with it in the "ON" position for 12 minutes to reset the sensor. The sensor light will stop flashing when it is reset. Then I turn the key off and then back to start. It works every time but the 12 minute wait is a pain in the ass.

I had a problem last week with the a/c compessor blowing the 10 amp fuse .i read that on 04 grand am these two things are closely related the car wont start looking into it more tomorow. 50 and raining here now.cant pull it into my heated garage cuz it wont start if any one has had the a.c.compressor fuse no start problem please let me know how you resolved. Mike

I found a short circuit melted wire going to a.c.compressor blew the fuse it is connected to fuel pump in some way.

I got the security light off. Now it's still doing nothing,no click no sound 2003 grand am

dottieleland will be eternally grateful.