What are the 'heatsink squares' called on MacBook Pro a1286 Mid-2012?

I just ordered a Macbook Pro a1286 from Mid-2012 (pre-retina) to refurbish, and it's the first time ever that the little squares that cover the two heatsinks are missing. It's not the "main" heatsink, it's the two separate little squares. I want to buy a couple replacements but I don't know what to call them other than heatsink squares (LOL), which isn't pulling anything up. Does anyone know what these are called?

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0
Add a comment

1 Answer

Chosen Solution

Review this IFIXIT guide: MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Mid 2012 Heat Sink Replacement. If you jump to Step24 you can see the heat sink and the chips (CPU & GPU). There is no little squares (thermal pads) only thermal paste. You should use thermal paste someone may have thought the pads were better (there not).

But the real question here is why are you taking your system this far apart? Does the system have a problem?

Was this answer helpful?

Score 4
Add a comment

Add your answer

dollartripclub will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 0

Past 30 Days: 0

All Time: 66