Announced September 9th, 2014, this device is Apple's first foray into smart wearables. iFixit's repair manuals are applicable to Apple Watch (steel) and Apple Watch Sport (aluminum).

What kind of glue to reattach back

My wife's Apple Watch has had the case back come off when she removes it from the charging puck. Apple wants $199 to repair it. We paid $249 new, so I don't consider that to be a reasonable cost. I would like to know what kind of glue would work best to reattach the back.

Most Helpful Answer

You can find replacement adhesive strips for the Apple Watch here:

Check to make sure these match the dimensions of your particular watch.

If you need some help completing the repair, check out this handy Apple Watch Adhesive Replacement guide.

Hope this helps.

I've seen zero applicable responses. What keeps the back attached?

The adhesive strips you mention are for the front of the watch not the back. What adhesive can you use for the back?

I have this problem too. Out of warranty and Apple wants $199 to fix. Is there a glue that will work?

My back fell off as well. I've searched online for a fix, but only found the gasket for the front. Since I have the 1st gen watch, i'm out of warranty. So, I went with a more robust solution instead of hot glue that I've seen some people mention online. Go to amazon and pick up some RTV. Search "Permatex 81158 Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant, 3 oz. Tube" on Amazon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1) Buy the RTV (its less than $6)

Step 2) Power off the watch. Remove the watch straps (may not be needed, but I didn't like them flapping around)

Step 3) Using a wooden toothpick (so you dont scratch anything) try and clean up any original adhesive from Apple. Dont worry, it comes off easy... that's why the back fell off remember? haha

Step 4) Using another wooden toothpick, dip into the RTV tube and blot/paint around the inner portion of the circumference of the inner opening. Dont worry if you get a little in the watch as it is a natural insulator

Step 5) Verify the cable from the back of the watch is still properly connected to the main housing and press the back down on and straighten if necessary.

Step 6) Place the watch face down on a flat surface (i used my mouse pad) and then set another flat weight on top of the back (I used an old 3.5" hard drive I had laying around) overnight.

Step 7) Turn on watch and enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone is interested in seeing the specs of the RTV, then here ya go:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000...

Permatex Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant is a general-purpose, black RTV indoor/outdoor sealant. Effectively bonds, repairs, seals, mends and secures glass, metal, plastics, fabric, vinyl, weather stripping and vinyl tops. Also protects and repairs electrical wiring and may be applied to horizontal or vertical surfaces. Waterproof and flexible with a temperature range of -75 degrees Fahrenheit to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, this sealant is oil, water, weather, vibration and grease resistant. Suggested applications include windshields, door frames, electrical connections, seams and roofs, vinyl tops, and weather stripping.

Thanks buddy. Great comment!

Available Adhesive For 42mm?

ditch the adhesive sticker. The RTV sealant is superior in every way and can be applied to both 38mm and 42mm watches

I would like to know when the 42mm adhesive gasket will be available. Thanks

dave will be eternally grateful.