PlayStation 3

The PlayStation 3 (or commonly known as the PS3) is the third home computer entertainment system produced by Sony Computer Entertainment, and the successor to the PlayStation 2. It was released November 11, 2006

Why won't my PS3 read discs?

I got my PS3 in February of 2008. About four or five months ago it stopped reading discs. Neither Blu-Ray or DVD are recognized--the drive never spins up. Everything else seems to work fine.

Does the drive inject and eject discs?

by Chris Green

The drive will still continue to accept and eject discs. It just will not read them. In some cases, it will attempt to spin the disc and nothing will happen. When it happened to my 60GB PS3, the optical drive would not my read discs (Blu-ray, DVD, CD, etc.) at all.

by Walter Galan

Not sure why this was modded down. The drive accepts and ejects discs without any problem.

by Reed

ok, because i was wondering if maybe, there was a severed connection somewhere.

by Chris Green

I'm also having this issue it will take in an eject movies fine plays movie for about ten men an then it freezes won't play no more as far as I know its only movies haven't tried games

by xena7288

I had this same issue last year. I was unable to play Blu-ray and DVD's. The Blu-ray drive is defective, and it needs to be replaced. If the console is under warranty, send it back to Sony and they will repair the console. Otherwise, they will charge you $150 service charge. Its usually a two week waiting period between the time you call and the time the console gets returned.

My PS3 is over 2 year and its blu ray drive went out. I was able to replace it myself. I wish I had known about this web site then I would have made a guide.

My drive would accept DVDs & Blu Rays but wouldn't play them, found my replacement at MCM electronics, I got the laser & rail KEM-400AAA, this part is easier since the you don't have to remove the laser.

Note:

I have the following Site book marked it is a great help for PS3 owners

I was able find the parts I needed to repair my PS3 with this site,

I hope its a help to all of you also.

http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html#...

On my PS3, the ejection mechanism skipped a gear because my 2 year old pushed too hard to put a disc in.

The result looked like it accepted the disc but would never play it. Then it would sit there until you ejected it.

I was 3 months out of warranty and didn't like the $150 repair option with a 90 day warranty for the repair, so I took it apart, inserted a disc, watched it not take it in all the way, then moved the ejection mechanism back one tooth on both sides.

Problem solved.

Your PS3 Should still be in warranty, so if you have not opened the machine your should be able to get it repaired by sony.

Sounds like a hardware issue if the drive is not even spinning up.

I agree with mobileease. Make sure your device is NOT under a warranty, because if you open the PS3 you will void whatever warranty it is under. If it is NOT under any type of warranty, it is most likely a defective optical drive, as the discs are not spinning up and neither media is being read.

by AngryJoe

If you want to make sure the system is fully clean inside there is a way of doing it without taking the ps3 apart. All you have to do is unplug the power wire from the back of the console but before you put it back in hold down the eject button and then plug it back in and turn it on, this should send the fan into overdrive which basically blows all the dirt and dust from inside the machine

My son's PS3 had the same problem with reading disc's. It seems to be fine now after a full system re-install / restore.

I don't remember how we did it in the menu system but it has worked now for over a month. You loose all your saved user data but I think once you log in you re-download it.

Hope this helps.

I had this problem; took the thing apart, blew the dust out of it... it worked for a while then stopped. Decided to try a laser cleaner CD. That fixed it. No problems since then. (Try the cleaner BEFORE taking it apart / sending it back to the manufacturer, etc) Mine did not sound like it was spinning up.

your blu-ray laser needs

replaced

Mentioned Items

PlayStation 3 BluRay Laser Image

Guide

Repairing PlayStation 3 BluRay Laser

by David Keating Difficulty: Moderate20 minutes

Reload the OS takes care of a lot of these issues. Just Try it!!!

hola no sabia como añadir una pregunta x eso puse aqui en el sitio de respuestas.

la pregunta seria la sgte tengo un disco externo de 1 terabyte con 60 juegos de play 3,pero no puedo jugarlos en mi play 3! .la play la reconoce se ven q estan ahi los juegos pero no las puedo jugar.

desde ya agradecere su ayuda.muchas gracias.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxsHk3YWA... Guys have you seen this video directly after doing that my ps3 did start to load all discs!!!!! I did take my ps3 apart, safe mode and so on.. but that one thing just worked immediately!!!! In the video he turs the system upwards and it also worked for me... try it out!

if you want to read disk on your ps3, you have to clean the disk, you get your get your game then turn it around, you have to put your breath on like you were cold, then you have to clean it with a soft clothing then try it, hope it WORKS._.

Reed will be eternally grateful.