Model A1418 / Late 2012 / 2.7 & 2.9 GHz Core i5 or 3.1 GHz Core i7 Processor

Where to find a processor upgrade

I'm installing a SSD and while I am at it I'd like to upgrade the processor from an i5 2.7 to an i7 3.1 or faster. I'm hoping this will help with video editing and big photoshop files.

The i7-3770S processor was available on the late 2012 iMac so I was going to upgrade to that. There are several on ebay but none specifically state they are mac compatible. The ones I have found only list the platform as "PC" or don't specify the platform. Is there a way to know which processor will work in my iMac?

If anyone knows of a source for iMac compatible processors I would greatly appreciate the info.

Hi Dan,

from my experience you can definitly use all processors that were sold within the available configurations from Apple directly.

These were the configurations sold through Apple:

Intel Core i5 (3330S, 3470S) or Core i7 (3770S) ("Ivy Bridge")

Processor Speed 2.7 or 2.9 GHz (Core i5) or 3.1 GHz (Core i7)

At a maximum you could use the Core i7 with 3.1 GHz.

Hope that helps.

Correct! You are limited to the CPU's Apple has used for the given series (EMC 2544). You maybe also limited here as some of models in this series had a soldered down CPU which will prevent you from replacing it.

Good point. I believe the late 2013 models have a soldered processor. Here is a nice article showing the difference between the late 2012 and late 2013 iMacs in both the 21.5" and 27" sizes. http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/im...

dan will be eternally grateful.