GSM version of the fourth generation of iPad released November 2, 2012. Model Number A1459 / 16, 32, or 64 GB

I was replacing the battery and it started smelling weird

So I was going to replace the back on my iPad and as I was removing the huge amounts of adhesive that the battery was stuck to, the battery started to make a weird smell. So I stopped immediately and put the thing down for risk of explosion or fire. I noticed that I had accidentally punctured the little bridge between the 1st and 2nd battery. What I want to know is A) Can I keep the batteries in my house disconnected and out of direct sunlight in a ziploc safely and not have a risk of explosion or fire, B) How should I dispose of the battery, because I don't want to just throw it in the trash if it could cause a fire or something, and C) are the fumes that I inhaled toxic in any way. I don't feel funny or anything I just want to know. I currently have the iPad in a ziploc bag that is sealed shut. The battery was not warm at all either and no liquid is visible. I have abandoned all repair attempt and am going to just get a new iPad because I don't want to risk breaking a new battery again. The battery was about 88% charged by the way. Thanks.

Most Helpful Answer

Hi Duncan first of all for battery disposal the plastic ziploc bag method will work but when transporting to a local hardware store or even an auto parts store because they safely recycle batteries all the time. I know cause I am a woodworker who has replaced a few batteries for my cordless tools and phones. keep the vent blowing cold air to keep the temp inside you vehicle around 40-70 degrees other than that your fine. Now fumes from lithium ion batteries are toxic but a small amount like that won't kill you or harm you unless you inhale fumes from 8 lithium ion batteries then I guarantee you would end up in the hospital but just to insure you that you are fine here is this. and go down to the number four bracket where it says first aid.

Thanks a lot!

Your welcome Duncan ☺

thanks a lot, learnt something new today!

Duncan Rutherford will be eternally grateful.