Skip to main content

Fix Your Stuff

Right to Repair

Parts & Tools

Help

Original post by: Duncan Rutherford ,

Title:

I was replacing the battery and it started smelling weird

Text:

So I was going to replace the back on my iPad and as I was removing the huge amounts of adhesive that the battery was stuck to, the battery started to make a weird smell. So I stopped immediately and put the thing down for risk of explosion or fire. I noticed that I had accidentally punctured the little bridge between the 1st and 2nd battery. What I want to know is A) Can I keep the batteries in my house disconnected and out of direct sunlight in a ziploc safely and not have a risk of explosion or fire, B) How should I dispose of the battery, because I don't want to just throw it in the trash if it could cause a fire or something, and C) are the fumes that I inhaled toxic in any way. I don't feel funny or anything I just want to know. I currently have the iPad in a ziploc bag that is sealed shut. The battery was not warm at all either and no liquid is visible. I have abandoned all repair attempt and am going to just get a new iPad because I don't want to risk breaking a new battery again. The battery was about 88% charged by the way. Thanks.

Device:

iPad 4 GSM

Status:

open