Display

Repair guides for displays (or monitors) for computers or other devices with video output.

My computer screen is just turning white on startup?

So I am currently having a problem with a computer screen I have,whenever I turn the computer on and then I would turn on my screen but it just turns white and like blank,I don't know what to do so i just try to like turn off the screen and then turn it on a few minutes later but it never works!I can't even use the screen it's like always white no matter what.Does it have to do with the graphics card or something?Can anyone please help me with my problem?Thanks.

my compute is trun white i need help

by keisha

Ok. I had the same problem 3 times. The first time I got it fixed because it was on my warranty. But the second time I couldn't get it fixed. I had to wait until I got a new one. But I let it sit for a while and I had a dream that it started working and so I turned it on and it worked and it just turned white. But you should try to wait a month or 2 and then it may work

by Kaylani

Leaving the monitor off until you dream of it is not the solution, neither is waiting months.

by e84

Every time I turn my computer on, my screen turns black and white before I can log in. What do I do?

by rafael

it probably is caused by a damaged LCD, the best option for a case like this would be to get it replace or you can use a cable like HDMI or what works for you computer to project the screen display to another monitor, that is if you want to save time and money.

by Alex

same thing has happened with my computer....when i was using it, suddenly it would just turn white...so i told my parents and my dad brought it to a computer guy to fix and the guy said it had to do with the board that is inside your computer (directly under your keyboard.....they have to replace the board inside with a new one....what caused this to happen is that on the side of your computer there is something that is breathing out air and you might of just layed it down on a couch/bed and it suffocates because your covering the holes that are trying to breathe and this causes the board inside to melt.....hope this helped you xxxx

Truly,

Sabrina

Ok, obviously you know nothing about electronics and most likely got scammed. First of all, the board does not melt. At worst, it will get a cold solder joint. The computer guy was right; is does have something to do with the board, but it depends if its a desktop or laptop, if its a laptop it is most likley cracked or it has a broken/dissconnected lvds cable or it has a cold solder joint under the gpu. If its a desktop it probably has bad capacitors.

by Jonathan oconnor

For me, it was bad capacitors and now it works fine.

by Jonathan oconnor

Most Helpful Answer

Do you have, like a display or like a monitor. If it's a monitor try plugging it into a computer and like turn them both on. You might consider like telling us what you have.

um,its a a viewsonic moniter,i've used it for some time and a dell tower.

by Jordan

First unplug both. Reseat the video card and tighten the cable connections to both the card and the monitor. Now plug both back in and restart each.

by mayer

where can i find my video card?

by Jordan

It will be in a PCI slot inside the unit. It's the thing the monitor cable is attached to.

by mayer

huh?im confused,not really understanding

by Jordan

try starting in safe mode with command prompt( hit f8 upon booting up) type explorer in the command prompt and use system restore to the closest point (system restore cannot be undone in safe mode.)then either download a reliable malware disinfecting programme or run the one on your system as I think the white screen is a nasty Trojan that needs to be removed.

Good man, it bloody worked I say... Still I dont know bout the troyan though...

by Chris Skokleski

it may be some thing wrong with your video card.

try in another computer.

as soon as you start your computer you have to press F8 key continuously until unless you cannot see any option..and later you will safe mode you have to start you compuiter

on safe mode....

The problem is most likely a capacitor inside your monitor, they burn out after a while, so you might be able to fix it by replacing the bad one. If you're lucky you can spot a bad one by checking if the top metal flat is bulging.

For reference you can look at this link, the second picture shows what I'm talking about: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?a...

Whiteouts and blackouts can also be caused by other components, so replacing the capacitor may or may not fix the problem.

ps. I know this thread is old, but %#*@, the answers already posted here would make any dead scientist spin in his/her grave.

by e84

Hey, I got the same problem it's not your dell tower but it's the screen....

cause I took off my cable and connected my Cpu to another screen and it worked, I even tried it on my TV through VGA Cable.... and it works.

The Solution:

Turn on your computer

Turn on the Monitor, if it is white(Blank) then press the power button to turn it off and turn it on instanly.

The Screen will continue to be white, then again turn off the monitor and unplug it.(NOTE: Unplug only the Monitor) Now after one minute plug it and turn it on.

It will work...cause I just did it so that I could google search the problem and I fell on this forum....

Didn't work :(

by Nida Grey

Well mine it worked,although I had to press it a thousand times to get the screen back to normal,such a total hassle but it works,maybe 1 out of 50 consecutive offs and ons will get it back to normal..............for now..and the symptoms gets back again and the cycle goes on....

by miggyortega123

Step1- Disconnect monitor with computer. Simply switch on only monitor. If u don't see "no signal" clearly without white display, then I'm sure its monitor trouble. Buy new or repair it.

Step2- if u see no signal message clearly then problem is with your graphic card.

I have just received a brand new Lenovo monitor and I am having the same problem. There is a wide yellow port on the back of the monitor as well as the short blue one that I connected my old cable to. Do I need a cable for that too? or.... do I have to install a HDMI cable for it to work??

Do not spend money the fix is easy.

I had a lenove x130e with a white screen on start up (even before bios)

it is the screen connector that needs to be re placed

unscrew the two screens screws in the front (check youtube for your model) and then gently removed the front cover (you will hear crack noises do not worry)

once the front cover is removed unscrew the lcs screen screw and remove it, look at the back unplug the connector and plug it back in, (you can use a scotch tape to tape it to the screen)

let me know if that helped

Jordan will be eternally grateful.