Model A1419 / Late 2013 / 3.2 & 3.4 GHz Core i5 or 3.5 GHz Core i7 Processor

Is it possible to upgrade the PCIe SSD?

Hi!

I am about to upgrade my HDD on my iMac 27 late 2013 (14.2)

3.4 gHz Intel core I5, Nvdia Geforce GTX 775M 2GB & 24GB RAM

I got the stock 1TB HDD and want to go for a PCIe SSD.

I asked local Apple store if my iMac even support PCIe, but they didn't have a direct answer.

I am looking at the Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD. Reason for that is because I want a fast drive (Around 800/800)

I know how to change the PCIe, but I haven't got an answer about my iMac will support it. If you know a better supported PCIe please let me know.

Thanks for all answers!

Sadly, you can't use the Samsung M.2 blade SSD in this system. Apple uses a custom SSD (very similar to M.2).

Presently no 3rd parties offer a replacement SSD (advertised as workable). But there are a few people who have used Retina SSD's in the system with success in the older models. OWC just intro'ed PCIe x2 SSD's for the MacBook Pro & Air which I think might work here but I've not done any of this my self.

But before you travel down this path review the IFIXIT guide here: iMac Intel 27" EMC 2639 SSD Replacement as this is a very big job to get to the SSD's slot. You need the correct tools to remove the display assembly it you don't you will damage it which would be a costly mistake.

If you want to try something safer here how about swapping out your HD for a SSHD or a SSD drive. Follow this IFIXIT guide: iMac Intel 27" EMC 2639 Hard Drive Replacement. Even it has a bit of a wrinkle as Apple uses custom firmware on its HD drives so you'll need to use this: OWC In-line Digital Thermal Sensor for Hard Drive Upgrade for 27" iMacs 2012 and Later to replace the missing thermal sensor in the replacement drive (SSHD or SSD)

Frankly, you might just go with an external Thunderbolt RAID drive which will get you a faster interface than the SATA III (6.0 Gb/s) the HD offers. Here's one choice: OWC ThunderBay 4 mini RAID.

iMac Intel 27" EMC 2639 SSD Image

Guide

iMac Intel 27" EMC 2639 SSD Replacement

Difficulty: Difficult1 - 3 hours

I've asked OWC about PCIe SSD for iMac 21 late 2013, their answer:

I am sorry but we do not carry the correct PCIe SSD for the imac14,1. The only SSD option we offer is to replace your factory HDD with an SSD.

tlagarhus will be eternally grateful.