The original Xbox is Microsoft's first widely popular video gaming system. It has an easily identifiable black case with 'XBOX' emblazoned on the top and front. Repair is easy with common tools.

xbox Red Blinking Light

I have an xbox with a red blinking ring around the power button. The disc drive will not open and the main screen says I need to get tech assistence. There is more information on the net about the 360 and diagnosing issues by blink codes... I was wondering if the origenal xbox has similar codes and where i might start the troubleshooting process

I looked around and found some guys discussing the blink codes for an Xbox on 2005, so they are most likely discussing the first Xbox.

• Solid red, overheated.
  • Flashing green, bad bios load.
  • Flashing red-orange, bad video output
  • Flashing red-green, system faliure (can be alot of things)

Here was where I found the thread if you wanted to read through their discussion. As long as its not flashing red and green, it would be safe to assume your Xbox is overheating.

solid red:overheated

flashing green:bad bios load

flashing red-orange:bad video output

flashing red-green:system failure(can be loads of things)

So it's the same as in the original answer from Sept. 2010 ?

I concur with Collin here. I have an original xbox and these things did tend to overheat. Mine has, and has been fixed for it. No problems since.

flashing red+green and 12 in top left corner means ur dvd drive is unplugged/screwed

What does flashing red green error code 16mean

Unplug and reconnect both the hard drive and the DVD drive IDE cable (data cable) to fix the red-green flashing problem. Apparently the contacts get dirty and this cleans them up a bit. Be sure to have the AC cord (power cord) unplugged while doing this.

I was told to try this when my Xbox started flashing red and green. After a few attempts and buying new cables, it still won't work. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

It means that there might be a problem with the motherboard, such as bloated caps,etc.

it can be failure of modchip

i only found out my Xbox was doing the same thing!

Usually the Xbox will display an error code on screen usually in the upper left hand corner, could be like 05 or 06 or something like that.

I have a code 08 in the upper left. Goes past splash screen and immediately to "need service" screen. No set-up (time, date) screen. Flashes red/green

Found that the problem I have is a dead hard drive. As I can't simply swap a new one for the old, but would need a modchip, blah, blah, blah, I'm going to have to find a used one from a trusted source. Grrrr! Not sure I like the 360 and don't want to give up my games to to possible lack of backwards compatibility. Rats!!

I'm getting error code 7 and I tried everything and still it won't work.

I have another one, I turn it on and the green light blinks while the Xbox shuts simultaneously with the light. Then it starts to blink red and orange along with the green. Can someone help

Me?

I need help my Xbox has code 7.. What does that mean? What can I do??

My xbox blinks red on the power button what do I do

brian will be eternally grateful.