1.83, 2, or 2.16 GHz Core Duo processor

Both fan not working

Hi all

my old macbook pro has this problem. Both fan are at 0 rpm. I checked both and are not malfunctions... seems to be a problem with the SMC.

Important note: actually the MBP is working WITHOUT battery.

Question: use the laptop without the battery may affect the normal operation of the SMC and then keep the fans switched off?

Should I order a battery replacement for fix this?

Thank you

Boot up from original system installation dvd, see if fans are running to eliminate possible software issue.

Thanks for accepting my answer. Please tell us your result in case this question comes up for someone else.

Fan not working anyway not even after resetting SMC...

I remember that the fans have always worked until I broke down the battery. Since I removed it, the fans have stopped working. I've ordered a new battery... I'll try to reset SMC after installed and charged it...

Please don't accept an answer till you have a solution because we stop looking at accepted answers questions.

First I would do a SMC reset. Follow this Apple T/N: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac.

SMC has a few different functions. So while it manages battery charging and battery power management. This part of SMC does not involve the temperature management side of things.

I do strongly recommend putting the battery back in (replacing it) only because when you don't have it present it doesn't take much to pull out or cause a power disconnect from the power adapter. The way the system was designed the battery would fill in the power disruption. Think of it this way your laptop has a built in UPS!

mbonomi will be eternally grateful.