Step-by-step guides for canister, robotic, and upright vacuum cleaner repair.

My Vacuum Cleaner Turns Off After Few Minutes. What Should I Do?

Hey guys,

Ever since I vacuumed my red Persian carpet, last week, the vaccum cleaner started working poorly and after a few days, it started turning off after just a few minutes of use.

I opened the panel and replaced the bag and cleaned all the filters. Unfortunately, with no success at all. The machine appeared to work normal the first couple of times I tested it, but then it completely stopped and never turned on again. I read on the forums that I should unplug it and turn it off for an hour or two and then try it out in a different socket. Again, it didn't work.

Has my vaccum cleaner completely gone? Should I be worries or is there a way to fix it?

I'm not an expert in repair nor do I understand electronics, but wanted some opinion on what could the problem possibly be so I can prepare myself for any additional repair costs or just go to the store and by a new one.

Make sure you include references or pics, if possible, so I can get familiar with the issue you'd be referring to.

Take care and thank you all for the help!

A. Polter

What's the make and model number?

Electrolux EL1200 upright rechargeable cordless shutting off after a couple of second

Cause 1

On - Off Switch

To determine if the switch is defective, use a multimeter to test it for continuity. If the on-off switch does not have continuity, replace it.

Cause 2

Drive Motor

First, test the power switch for continuity to ensure that the motor is getting power. If the power switch has continuity, ensure that the blower wheel turns freely and is clear of obstructions. If power is getting to the motor, and the motor turns freely, but the motor still won’t run, replace the motor.

Cause 3

Fan Motor

First, test the power switch for continuity to ensure that the motor is getting power. If the power switch has continuity, ensure that the blower wheel turns freely and is clear of obstructions. If power is getting to the motor, and the motor turns freely, but the motor still won’t run, replace the fan motor.

Hey, nice to meet you Ariella.

When I first read you question I thought you're referring to a internal clogging. When the bag is full or the pipes are clogged with dirt and hair, the vacuum cleaner can often overheat and turn itself off.

Working in the Sydney home cleaning sector for almost five years, I've seen dozens of vacuum cleaners do the same. They get clogged by excessive amounts of dirt and when they are cleaned thoroughly, they turn back on again. Simple as that.

Yet, you explained you've already taken care of the basic vacuum cleaner maintenance and the machine has stopped working completely after a few more rounds.

My suggestions would be that the fuse of the vacuum cleaner has finally blown and that's what's stopping the machine from running. If I'm correct, the repair will cost you $15 or less, especially if you have a friend that can handle the repair for you.

Here's what I think has happened with your vacuum cleaner.

It got clogged and started overheating which made the system stop every time it reached a certain temperature. Due to a malfunction of the system, or maybe simple wearing, the fuse has blown up, making it impossible for the vacuum cleaner to be turned on again unless this part gets replaced.

Speak to a technician and let him take a look at your vacuum cleaner. The issue might be just what I described you here. Vacuum cleaners are fairly simple machines and there's not much that can cause a severe damage. Hope you get it figured out.

Where is the fuse ?

If the vacuum starts after it has cooled off, the problem could be a clogged filter, full bag or canister or the motor giving way and tripping the thermal overload. On checking the possible causes, if the filter is clear, the bag/canister is empty and the hose and air ducting are clear, the problem could be the motor which may need replacing.

http://bestvacuumfortilefloors.com/dyson...

I just started working in a company that offer carpet and floor cleaning in Sydney and I do relate to your problem regarding your vaccuum cleaner.

Here's a simple explanation that i've found that helps me fix it.

The vacuum motor shutting down usually is an indication that there is a partial air blockage in the tubing that the dirt travels through. The air that the vacuum cleaner picks up has to travel through the vacuum and the dirt stops at the filter and the air continue on through the motor to keep it cool. If there is a restriction the motor will over heat and shut down on thermal over load and has to cool and reset before the motor will start up again.

Please make sure all the filters are clean and the dirt and air that travels in the tubing is clean and has not blockages.

If you have to replace the motor it will come with some of the plastic housings that surround it.

Take the dirt cup out of the vacuum and turn it on to see if the motor will run for more than five minutes.

Do no vacuum with the cup removed just let it run if it will.

Hope it helps! cheers!

Ariella Polter will be eternally grateful.