Nintendo Entertainment System

A game console released in North America by the Nintendo Company in 1985, called the Nintendo Entertainment System, model NES-001.

Why won't the screen and red light stopping blinking?

Maybe my NES has finally had its last day of life, but I think it can be fixed some how. When I put in a game and start it up, I get a flashing screen and blinking red light. I have taken apart my NES, cleaned it and moved the connectors closer together. It works occasionally now, but I wanted to know if there was anything else I could do to restore it and hopefully make it more functionally?

Bought a new 72-pin connector from ebay. Will get back to you guys with the results.

Let me know if you have any questions with fixing that connector, it is VERY easy to do and the system will work like a champ. Dont forget to get the bits to take the screws off your games to clean their boards...I use an eraser...works awesome...putting dirty games back in your new pin will only cause it to lead back to your original problem. Glad to help!

by Jonathan

Sam: Did it work after you replaced it? I just bought one and it ended up having the blinking red light and trying to decide if I should return it.

by Josh K

Hi everyone,

Nintendo Repair Shop tech here. The blinking is caused by a worn out NES 72 Pin Connector, or dirty NES games. Fortunately, we have been performing NES System Repairs for a long time, and have developed a NES Total Repair Kit that has everything you need to professionally repair your NES System and clean your NES Games.

The kit includes the highest quality new 72 Pin NES Connector on the market (to replace the old worn out connector in your NES System); a 3.8mm gamebit tool to open your games for proper cleaning, and a special cleaning solution and non-static cleaning pads that work wonders to get your games clean.

As I commented on another one of your answers, please do not blatantly advertise your products on Answers. You provided a good answer by telling the original poster what was wrong with his game cartridge. You are also fine if you tell them that your company sells a kit to fix it. Please put any links to your own repair site on your profile page, and refer users to that rather than advertising your products in your answers.

by David Hodson

It's commonly referred to as "NES Blink Syndrome". Here's a video for fixing Blinky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv3A9GlIL...

Here's info on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_En...

Purhcase a new 72 pin connector!!! You can go on EBAY and purchase one for 7.49, free shipping. I just purchased one last week and replaced one in my old nintendo that would not work at all...now it works perfect. Yes, they can be too tight, but you can take an older game or any game and spray a little bit of wd40 to loosen up the connector until it is good to go. Another great investment are the game screw tools that you can buy on ebay...i think 6 bucks for 2 sizes. Instead of using alcohol, use an ERASER. This works AMAZING. Hope this helped.

My NES went from blinking $^^! to working like a champ. Email me at jomoody09@hotmail.com for any questions on installation or repairs.

if you bothered looking at my link, that's exactly what was recommended

by mayer

Its so funny to see people fight over who's johnson is biggest! Hahaha

anyway to everyone who posted the same thing... Thank you!

Its worked great!

Its ok for people to say the same thing sometimes. . It just proves your method works

Bump on that. Thank you guys for the in depth. Will do same once ebay ships.

by Alejandro

who's trying to earn $$ to fix my systems?

-two NES'

-one super nintendo

cash or Paypal! Thanks

Sam will be eternally grateful.