Presario CQ58 series are budget laptops, offers good value. CPU - Intel / AMD, RAM Memory DDR3 2/4 GB, HDD - 320/500 GB.

How can I reset password?

How do I reset my password

What version of Windows are you running?

Does it matter if you retain the data , or are you ok restoring it to factory settings?

Most Helpful Answer

Hello Madison

Just like gatewaynomad said to make the instruction easier we will need to know what version of Windows your laptop is running.

Saying that resetting the Offline Windows password isn't to hard. Note that I said Offline password. that is because if you are using Windows 8 and above you can log in using your Microsoft Account password or any other online account password. If you have used an online account password to login, then you will need to reset your password using that online account reset password feature. If you let us know what online account you used I would be happy to provide you with a direct link.

If you used an offline password the you can follow the below instructions to reset it.

1. Boot you computer to the login screen.
  2. Hold down shift while clicking the restart. This will then open a OASO (Advanced Startup Options)
  3. # If you can't access the Advanced Startup Options I will then have to tell you how to make a bootable Windows recovery USB or DVD.
  4. Touch or click on Troubleshoot, then Advanced options, and finally Command Prompt.
  5. Type in the following net user then your username and then a space and your new password (the new password your want to use). So if your username was David Lindner and I wanted the new password to be password the command should look like this net user "David Lindner" password If there is a space in your username please place speech quotes at the beginning and end.
  6. If you can't remember your username or get an unknown user type net user to list all available users.
  7. Now restart your computer and try the new password we just set.

I hop this help.

If you forgot a BIOS password, you can remove it by unplugging the battery for a while. If you forgot a Windows user password, it can be reset your password with Windows install CD. The last resort is format your hard drive and perform a clean install.

Madison will be eternally grateful.