Magsafe connector Scalding hot when charging

MagSafe connector heats up really bad, why is that?

I too have the problem of the 85W Magsafe 1 connector getting scaldingly hot charging the MBP either when its on and open or when its closed and hibernating. The connector is cool when charging powered down. To eliminate Magsafe problem, I test with new original piece - same results. Battery is new.

Of the 5 pins inside the (Old) Magsafe connector and the DC-in Board (where the Magsafe magnetically connects to the MBP) the 1st and last pins are black, and not shiny brass. I sometimes have to jiggle the connector before the green and orange lights come one. I will try cleaning the contacts with isopropyle alchohol and report if the discolouration cleans off.

Could the problem be with the Magsafe DC-in board? How can I tell for sure? What will happen if I just continue to use the new Magsafe with the old board and ignore the hot hot connector?

Thanks for the support.

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 1

Comments:

I too have the problem of getting Magsafe connector hot. My observation and analysis are:

DC-in Board pins 2&4 (2nd from either side) are black. Magsafe connector 2&4 pins are pressed down and not fully popped out. hence these pins while touching DC-in Board connector, do not make full contact. They are making loose contact which in turn makes arcing/sparking which generates heat to make Magsafe hot. It is a typical phenomenon you see on household electric plugs getting fused and burnt. Once I cleaned both sides with alcohol and system worked good for some time.

Other thing is once batteries get old, they need more current to charge. Moreover if you are using your MBP and charging it simultaneously, it will require extra current. That much extra current when flows through connector it is bound to get heated up.

In my opinion if the Magsafe pins are not depressed, fully popped out and make firm contact with DC-in Board, the problem is 90% solved.

by

Add a comment

2 Answers

Chosen Solution

You'll need to replace the damaged DC-in Board to start things off. But I suspect you have some deeper issues here.

Your MagSafe power adapter is likely bad. Is the cord damaged? The cord needs to be smooth along its length and ends not frayed or bumpy. These are signs of a shorted connection within the cord.

The next issue is the logic board its self, hopefully the SMC circuit didn't get damaged but the charging circuit might have.

Download this little app so you can see whats happening: CoconutBattery. Post a screen shot in your question of what it shows so we can see it as well.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 4

Comments:

Thanks very much Dan.

My Magsafe power adapter is brand new- unboxed 2 days ago.

The battery i replace is less than a year old- 41 cycles. It charges and discharges ok. I have an app called Battery Health. I'm having troub;e with making my screen shot match the minimum image requirements (how do i do that?) so here is what the app says

orignal max capacity-6900 mAh/ Current Max 6890 mAh /

OSx health status - Good /

cycles-41 /

age - 11.7 months /

temperature- 30.8'C/ 87.5'F /

power Usage 27.8 watts /

mAh Usage (realtime) 2381mAh /

hope this helps. Yes, i'm leaning towards replacing the DC -in board as well, but i dont find a tutorial for this specific model. Plus - the whole process seems so daunting. Afraid i'm not a repair guy at all, ever, though i strongly believe in the philosophy :-)

by

While this one is a bigger job than most, you'll need to start there. Sorry guy ;-{

by

:-) I guess you are right. Tx Dan.

MacBook Pro Unibody 13" and 15" MagSafe DC-In Board

I'm not finding the Replacement guide for this particular model. Any resources you can point me to?

by

Also - I presume from the above that you are ruling out any problems with the Magsafe Adaptor, the battery, logic board and the SMC (?) circuit.

by

Nope, just as I stated you need to start with the most obvious then move forward. Your system is pulling to much which is why your charger is over heating. You need to remove anything that is resistive, the DC in-board having damaged contacts is the first thing here. Is it the only thing I don't know. Here's the guide: MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Mid 2009 MagSafe DC-In Board Replacement

by

Show 3 more comments

Add a comment

mine was too. too touch to even touch. so i disconnected it. cleaned the connectors with an old toothbrush and noticed that one of the connectors was already depressed slightly. i pushed on it and it didn't click back into position so i tapped the magsafe on the table to try and push it out. and saw that it did. dirt and grime could be the culprit. re attached it. now it's charging again...its heating up the same but not as it did before. seems like i have to buy a new magsafe then.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

Add your answer

vignesheswar will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 65

Past 7 Days: 469

Past 30 Days: 2,001

All Time: 22,865