Model A1286. Released February 2011 / 2.0, 2.2, or 2.3 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 Processor

MacBook Pro crashes half way through boot

Hello People!

I've got a wicked problem with my MBP early 2011 El Capitan (high-res display 1680x1050 pre Retina).

As stated it crashes half way through the boot sequence. I tried resetting NVRAM and booting in Safe-Mode. Both with the same negative result.

It started a few days ago when I had two glitches where the external display would show the left half of the screen on the right side and the other way around. I blamed it on a faulty display cable or the external screen itself.

Today same glitch but but the MBP shut down after pulling the display cable! On trying to boot, the Apple Logo appeared and the progress-bar went halfway through. A horizontal stripe of artefacts (see Screengrab) appeared quickly and the black screen followed by a white screen an the fans starting to run on max speed.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem with their MacBook Pros? I don't think it is the wide spread El Capitan Boot Freeze I'm afraid it is a hardware problem :-(

Just removed the SSD Drive an booted it on an other Mac. Works smoothly. I would rule a out a drive problem.

THX in advance!

Screengrab on Youtube

This needs to be seen.

This is not a solution. I have an identical machine with the same issue. Boots halfway and shuts down. Tried booting from external drive same problem. Called Apple, no solution except to send it in for a "Flat Rate Repair", $357 with tax and shipping. Apple gets it, sees a small dent in the corner where the hard drive is, which affects nothing, and demanded another $300 to replace the upper case. My customer refused the extra charge and bought a new machine. I bought it from him for parts. So if your machine is perfect on the out side I would suggest a Flat Rate repair. You might also be lucky and get a reasonable tech. Apple said it was a logic board issue, they probably know the exact problem but aren't telling. I'll let you know if I can come up with a better solution.

UPDATE 11/21/15

I have two more machines in with the identical issues, Both are MBP 15" 2011. Apple announced a extension repair program 2/20/15. Go here to check if you qualify:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro...

You may have to call directly as they don't tell me you on this link if you qualify. Apple did not bother to mention this program when I sent in the last machine.

UPDATE 11 /23/15

I took both machines into an ASP I work with. They have to run a diagnostics test (which I can't get yet) to see if the machine qualifies. Looks like I have lucked out. Both machines failed the test and Apple will have to replace the logic board on both. Apples greed on the one I sent for a flat rate repair got them this time. Now they have to pay for it. Why didn't tech support tell me about this program? They let me send it in then tried to extort an extra $300 for a non-consequential dent by the battery and charge for a new uppercase. Shame on Apple.

Most Helpful Answer

Does anyone have the Apple test that confirms the bad video on the recall that Apple is really keeping a secret? They did not notify original buyer like they said and are not saying anything about it when you call in for support. The link won't tell you and you have to take every machine into an Apple Store or ASP and then believe if they tell you the truth. https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro...

Oh, and here's where I've pulled the Apple Hardware Test images:

https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardware...

I used this for model identification for the correct image:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201300

I'm seeing the same thing on the same config. Just called applecare and they said it might still be covered. Running AHT now to see what it reports.

AHT does not show this recall, you have to take it in.

Yup, AHT says everything is fine.

I had the same problem and took macbook to local authorized repair. Yep, a qualified logic board problem.

Unfortunately, their diagnostic tool also found that my harddrive is bad. Could the logic board problem (which may be an overheating problem based on the other articles I've read) cause the harddrive to fail? I haven't had any previous harddrive issues.

Nikolai Klag will be eternally grateful.