0.622kg (1.4 lb) tablet with a 10.8 inch display and 3 position kickstand released by Microsoft on May 5, 2015

How do I upgrade my ram?

I have the surface 3 64gb version and was wondering if I would be able to upgrade the ram on it.

Most Helpful Answer

2 things: your surface 3 has 64GB of storage, not RAM. While it may seem like a rather nit-picky distinction, it is rather significant. Basically, RAM affects performance if you don't have enough, storage is how many files you can store (your C drive)

Regardless, the RAM on all surface models is soldered to the motherboard and not upgradable. Surface Pro models have removable SSDs that can be replaced to add more storage but you have to remove the display first, a difficult process that usually requires replacing the display completely. Surface (non-pro) models have their storage chips soldered to the motherboard, preventing replacement.

In a way, yes. At least if you are actually talking about storage space, not RAM.

If you did really mean to ask whether the RAM could be upgraded from the 2GB that your model has, the answer is a definitive "No."

For the storage space question: There is a MicroSD expansion slot under the kickstand. As I understand it, you could install a 64GB expansion card in that slot, thus massively increasing your maximum storage capacity.

You can learn more about adding an expansion card here.

Jaskarn Bajwa will be eternally grateful.