The Brother MFC-240C is an all-in-one color inkjet printer.

Colour cartridges full but not printing

I've been using this Brother MFC for some time and I've been quite happy with it.

About a year ago I noticed that colour images would only print black and white.

My settings are to full colour. The cartridges are full and in good condition according to the ink refill place.

Not sure what else is going wrong.

Have you tried printing a colour copy of a page, by loading a page with colours on it into the printer, using the copy function on the printer itself and pressing Color Start? Does it come out B/W or Colour? If colour is printed then at least it proves that your printer can still print in colour, which is a start to finding out what's wrong.

Colour simply does not work. It's not a file transfer issue from the computer. Using the colour copy setting will not do anything either. I'm curious what I may need to clean to get the ink to flow out from the tanks.

Also, mine is 250c not 240c

Sorry about thinking it was 240c I can only surmise, like you, that the printhead has become clogged with dried ink due to not using colour that often. The cost of replacing the printhead exceeds the cost of a new printer. I can only relate to you my experience with my Brother mfc 440cn which had the same problem, not as bad, would not print magenta or yellow. I ended up doing a printhead clean operation 7 times, which I know is wasteful of ink, but I couldn't print red or yellow anyway and their cartridges were full (you can select colour as a clean option so you don't waste black). It worked, although I had to do it one more time as the yellow was still intermittent. I have since worked out how to prevent this problem, if you do not print in colour that often. Leave the machine in sleep mode. I found that it would "wake up" every so often and do a quick printhead clean then go back to sleep. I hardly print in colour but for over 3 years now have not had a problem. I am using generic brand ink refills

Most Helpful Answer

Actually, I updated the question to reflect the proper model is all.

I regularly hear the printer doing the automatic head cleaning.

I just wonder if it's possible to submerge those bits in rubbing alcohol or some other non-water source to remove clogs/build up.

Aloha a nui loa! From years of repairing and working with printers:

Leaving the printer in sleep mode to run cleaning cycles is not a good idea. Here's why:

You do not want the printer to do these cleaning cycles. The more it does this, the more chance the ink will clog the nozzles. TURN IT OFF at night or when not in use for long periods. Also, by running so many cleaning cycles you run the risk that the printheads will clog up even more than it would if it runs the sleep mode cleaning cycles. You should only do as many as the manual claims (usually 4 or 5) preferably only 3.

Make sure you print color every week or so. The less you print color the more the ink will dry out and clog those nozzles from lack of use.

When the printheads don't get better with cleaning cycles. You might try a Power [Exhaust] Purge in Maintenance mode. When that fails (this can also render printheads useless so only do this ONCE), you can try to manually clean the printheads (since they are permanently installed and only completely disassembling printer will let you fully access them). WARNING - If the pwr surge cleaning works, do not run a regular cleaning cycle because you may completely lose one or more colors. After that, other than a manufacturer repair (UGH too much $$), a manual cleaning is your only hope.

100% EASY FIX!!!

1. Take out all your print cartridges from the print head.

2. Take Canned Air (with the straw attached) and shoot air into the small hole in the printhead where the ink is sucked out of the cartridge. Your problem is a clogged line. The air will clear the line for you.

Caution--Small ink splatters may occur. Wear gloves and an apron.

3. Run through the cleaning cycle one time.

4. Print test page. Your problem should be solved.

When i copy a image in color my brother printer only prits a lil bit of the page but when i copy and print in black it works perfectly

SM will be eternally grateful.