Starbucks Barista

An easy to use home Espresso machine created by Saeco and rebranded for Starbucks. This machine is excellent for every day espresso drinkers and has an excellent build and product life.

Brew head (portafilter) assembly instructions

I have a Starbucks Barista espresso maker and I took apart the portafilter (I think it is model 226550650 made by Saeco) to clean it but while doing so the tiny wire spring inside came off. I need assembly instructions in order to put it back together properly.

There are two springs inside that portafilter, do you mean the large barrel-shaped one or the smaller, L-shaped one? Here's a picture of the proper spring placement; in that picture the handle of the portafilter would be oriented towards the bottom.

Henry H, as you seem quite knowledgable, I was wondering if you could take a look at my posted questions and if there is any help you could offer it would be greatly appreciated Here's the link to my question http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/40847....

by Adam

Thank you for the pictures.

by pati

I have done the same thing as Chuck (took appart the portafilter to clean it) and looking for help in re-assembly. But the pictures that are referenced to by Henry H detailing where the spring goes does not appear in my browser. Can anyone help?

by Dale Simonson

Hey Dale, I added the picture to my comment so you should be able to see it now.

by Henry H

Thanks Henry, , theats very clear. Now I just have to remember where i put the spring, but with your link I guess i can always buy another.

by Dale Simonson

Please take a look at the teardown to help identify the part you need: Starbucks Barista Teardown

Here's a link to springs for these machines: http://www.cafeparts.com/SearchProducts....

Mentioned Items

The Barista Teardown does not include the portafilter.

by Henry H

The second retaining post where the tail of the small spring pushes against is missing on 2 of my 3 portafilters, evidently that is a common failure but no problem, when reassembled, the tail of the spring pushes against the lower housing and still functions as good (actually better) than ever, the value of a good cleaning every once in a while can not be overrated. I have cleaned all my portafilters and they operate better, the pressure build up and release is back to proper operation. I have also disassembled and cleaned one of my pumps which was acting sluggish, just a cleaning and a much improved operations, there is a site which shows you how to disassemble the pump also, just search for it.

According to Starbuck's, it is impossible to put one of these back together. They can only be assembled by machine. Once you take it apart, its broke; unless you want a non-pressurized porta-filter.

That was my experience.

I've personally disassembled, cleaned/repaired and re-assembled many of these portafilters, with no ill effects. Starbucks may have sold these machines but they didn't design or manufacturer them, and based on my observations their customer support staff seems to know very little about their proper operation, maintenance or repair.

by Henry H

When re-assembling the porta-filter it is important to ensure the male spigot on the grey disc (with the orange seal around it) snaps into the porta-filter valve assembly. You will see on the grey male part there is a recessed area and the valve assembly has a locking tang which snaps in. It is a tight fit but just watch where you put your fingers as to not damage any small springs or moving pieces on the valve assembly. Just my 2 cents...

The post that holds the far side of the L-spring broke off on my portafilter. I had to weld it back in place by heating it with a lighter and holding it there with a pair of tweezers. FYI.

If you're repairing and disassembling an original porta filter for an ESTRO PROFI, take particular care when removing the screw that contains inside of it the long spring (looks like the sort of spring that's inside a ball point pen) - this screw is on the undersurface of the porta filter handle. There is a very small plastic (white) stem (looks like a small mushroom) which is necessary to block the hole that's on the topside of the filter (you can see this "hole" once the basket containing the coffee is removed). It's easy to lose this SMALL PLASTIC MUSHROOM part when you disassemble and clean the device. If you lose this plastic mushroom, the coffee will come thru that screw hole containing this spring and it won't have crema and will be quite weak.

Chuck Dyer will be eternally grateful.