distorted speaker on speaker phone

I have an iPhone 6, I get a distorted sound out of the speaker. It works and is usable but just sounds bad sometimes. Earpiece speaker is fine; everything else OK. I replaced speaker hardware and same problem; so problem is not the actual speaker hardware. I checked accessibility settings and that is not the cause; filter from speaker to outside is clean.

Any other ideas.

OK. I found the problem. The filter between the housing and the loud speaker had some sticky hard stuff that was blocking the sound. I had originally blown out the filter with air and considered it clean, but on second attempt I actually took out the filter and inspected; that stuff would not come out with just air...needs some sort of solvent or soaking; I replaced filter (original might be cleanable but I didn't want to put in the effort and I had another from a defunct water damaged unit) and working flawlessly now.

Good to know

It worked for me to! Thank you :-)

I've just had a similar experience with a iPhone 6+

the sound had a rattle to it, I changed the speaker, no effect then I also cleaned the gauze from dust but with no result. I then removed the gauze complete and cleaned the original glue residue from the grill and refitted. All sorted now the audio sounds clear and perfect. There is more to air flow and sound than I thought mattered.

My iphone 6 was always on vibrate, so i actually never noticed that sound has some rattling noise to it. After loudspeaker replacemnet i found this thread. I didn't want to disassemble the phone again as a quick fix i made a couple holes with a needle through the holes in the housing. It was clearly filled with some kind of glue and is different in color from another iphone 6 we have in our family.

Hi! Where did you get the filter?

Well, there are four gold tabs on the cable and on the speaker box, if those gold tabs don't match up perfectly, you'll have problems using your speaker

Are you referring to the upper ear speaker? Or are there 4 gold tabs on the bottom too? The distortion is in the lower speakerphone output, not the earpiece at the top of the phone.

The loudspeaker only has two golden prongs to connect to the charging dock assembly.

The earpiece speaker has the 4 golden spring prongs which connect to the front camera ribbon cable assembly.

I was having the same distortion, rattling problem, especially when the sound was on especially loud. I also noticed a good amount of air blowing out of my headphone jack...

I took a risk, poked the holes on the bottom of my phone with a pin a few times. Works perfect now. I must have gotten some gunk in there and the gentle cleaning method I used didn't do the trick!

Breadman will be eternally grateful.