Repair and disassembly guides for food cooling appliances including refrigerators, freezers and fridge-freezers.

What is proper temp setting for GE freezer/refrigerator?

I have a GE side by side refrigerator freezer (2004 yr model )

• temp control is a picture of thermometer and a slide up or down
  • what is correct position
  • what position is colder

Usually up is for higher temperatures and down is for lower.

The optimal setting is dependent on the ambient temperature and how many times it is being opened during the day. Temperature fluctuations are also dependent on how full it is. The items in a refrigerator help retain the cold.

To ensure that your refrigerator is doing its job, it’s important to keep its temperature at 40 °F or below; the freezer should be at 0 °F. Since few refrigerator controls show actual temperatures, using an inexpensive freestanding appliance thermometer will allow you to monitor the temperature and adjust the setting of the refrigerator and/or freezer if necessary. Buy one for the fridge, one for the freezer, and check them often.

Freezer 0* fresh food 36*. If your refrigerator temperature control is a dial, try turning it to the middle setting. After a couple days you can adjust it higher or Lower if need be. Allow 48 for the temp to adjust.

If that doesn't help, it could have several other issues. I'd need a model number to be of more help.

Hello Maria Marquez. Check the humidity control on crisper drawer. You want low humidity. Any temperature changes will take 24-48 hrs. If no change, include your model number. Thank you.

I turned down both the refrigerator and freezer so that I can unplug it to clean the back. Plugged back in but the cold controls are not turning on. What did I do?

Hello, I have GE refrigretator, but my vegestables,luttuce,onions,cucumber, and everything else freeze ,by the time im going to use it,i have to throw them away, what can i do to avoid this,?or whats the right temperature? thank you, Maria Marquez

nietta will be eternally grateful.