Mac Mini Repair

The Mac Mini family was first introduced in January of 2005.

Mac Mini wont boot

I have a Mac Mini that has been 'freezing' causing frequent hard restarts. Now it won't boot at all, no Apple screen, sound, only the front light comes on. I have tried several restart options including holding power button while plugging power, also after start holding P,R,alt,cmd keys.........

My hope is it is memory - not main board - I really need to salvage the data on HDD.

Thanks.

(This is a question asked by noneone from our discussion forums that did not get an answer. We'll see if you guys can help!)

First test is to boot from your recovery CD. Put the CD in, and then restart the computer, while holding down the 'C' key. If it boots off the CD, at least some of your hardware is working.

Problem is, the Mac restore CD has no file manipulation functions - even though it should... So your next hurdle is to get a qualified tech to boot the 'puter with a Linux CD - (s)he can then recover your data to an external hard drive.

Another option is to have a tech remove the hard drive from the Mini, and connect it to another Mac, using an adapter kit. Even if the hard drive won't boot, it may still be possible to read it. This has to be done with another Mac, as the Mac file system is not very compatible with Windows computers.

If you're booted to the system disk, you do have a small degree of control: launch Disk Utility (it's in one of the menus) and use its Restore function to clone your drive to an external, assuming the internal shows up at all.

by colleenthompson

Most Helpful Answer

IF it is a G4 Mini...you could try booting into Open Firmware: on power button push, hold down "option+command+O+F". If it works, you should see a white screen with small black text.

At the prompt, type...

1. reset-nvram (press Return)

then type...

2. set-defaults (press Return),and

then type...

3. reset-all (press Return)

Your Mini should then restart. Maybe this will help. Good luck.

Also, might swap RAM out with known good memory. Reseating bad RAM = bad RAM. ( Can run Mini without the top in place for troubleshooting...just be careful.)

It could also be the power supply. I have recently had my Mac Pro do a similar thing, where the light comes on, but nothing else.. turned out the power supply had failed

Try re-seating your RAM and see if that helps. I had the same symptom (front light on and nothing else) when I first upgraded my RAM. The problem went away when I re-seated the RAM.

I actually had my logic board fail on my C2D Mini about 10 months after I purchased it and when that happened, nothing would come on. No lights...nothing! I was hoping it was just the power brick, but it ended up being the logic board.

If you have access to another mac and a firewire cable, try starting up the Mini in target disk mode, by holding the 'T' key down on the keyboard while starting up. If it comes up with the firewire symbol on a blue background, you're in target disk mode and you can use the firewire cable to attach to another mac. This will allow you to get your files copied off.

wil

If you're not getting a chime, it may be the RAM or logic board.

If it was the hard drive, you'd at least make it past the chime.

If the mini is DOA you can always remove the hard drive and get the data off, assuming the drive is ok. There are inexpensive, universal USB adapters (Other World has a nice one for about $30, macsales.com).

This is some great advice. I was going to give up on my trusty Mini as I was convinced it is the logic board. It turned out to be just memory. Oddly enough both stick would not work, but once I put in some fresh ones it all works like charm. I still don't get a beep when the Mini starts up but it works great.

Thanks for your input. I tried switching back to the original memory and the mini booted up! I was also giving up thinking it was the logic board. Yeahhh

Kyle Wiens will be eternally grateful.