Late 2011 model, A1278 / 2.4 GHz i5 or 2.8 GHz i7 processor.

High temperature after applying new thermal paste

Hi! After spilling beer in my laptop, I disassembled my whole macbook in order to give the logic board an alcohol bath. With success! The laptop is starting up again.

However I also removed the heatsink and applied new thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5 ).

The problem is that when turning the laptop on, after 1 minute, the fan begins blowing full speed, making loud noise, and immediately feels heated.

Could this issue be that I didn't apply the taste correctly, or something in the software?

-I used isoproyl alcohol to clean the old thermal paste off with a simple microfiber cloth on both the heatsink and cpu.

-I simply dropped a little bit of new paste on the CPU, then spread it out with my finger wrapped in a plastic sandwich bag. It looked like all spread even, however I'm not sure if the amount was right, it was very little. But at least the whole surface was covered. Is that enough? Or does it need to be thicker?

-I didn't put anything on the heatsink.

-I did only use the microfiber cloth. Every now and then there was some dust going on the CPU but every time I brushed it off with the cloth and a big drip of isopropyl.

When I heard the fan go so loud right away, I turned off the computer because I was scared of destroying the CPU when it gets so hot for doing nothing.

Thanks a lot.

It should be very thin but not so thin that it doesn't cover the processor . Sounds like you did everything right, what temps were you running and how long did you run it before shutting it down . Don't worry about cooking your processor the laptop will shut itself down before that happens . There is a break in period for thermal paste. It kinda heats up and melts out a bit before setting into place. Just because your fan ran fast on startup it could be just a momentary condition . Let it run a few minutes and check your cpu temps a safe temp range is from 80 - 175F it will probably grey out at 190 but I have seen a mac at 212 and still running

Bram will be eternally grateful.