How to replace broken off phone jack?

My kids have broken off their xbox one phone jacks on their headsets. I have purchased new 4 conductor phone jacks from mouser.com but I can not figure out how ot handle the conductors nor what terminal each one should be soldered to. There appears to be six individual conductors, coaxial inside of each other in three sets. Looks kind of like magnet wire. Can I assume the three outer, sort of sheilding wire looking conductors are the ground, and the three inner ones are individual positive wires? I've done several google searches and have come up empty.

Thank you.

Did you ever resolve this issue?

I have the same issue with my sons xo one headphones. cut wire and found blue wire red wire and green wire it seems these are wrapped around three more wires, red around red, blue around blue but green around peach.

initial thoughts were outer wires were ground but i dont think this is the case. Obviously you have the issue of jack plug rings and which represents LH RH MIC and Ground. Im still no closer to fixing this

Most Helpful Answer

Hi guys, I've solved this.

Trim back the sheath by around 12 - 15mm. Longer makes it easier to work on, but more difficult to get the connector cover back.

There are three screened wires inside the sheath, red, blue and green. There's also some nylon filler in there which you can just cut back.

Carefully unwrap the three screens from the inners and then twist them all together at the end, about 3 - 4mm. Make sure there are no stray whiskers. This will leave you with the three inners, red, blue, white.

You'll now have 4 ends. Tin them approx 2mm. Careful with the white, the insulation is different and it runs back quickly so take care!

Red goes to tip

Blue goes to R1

Red/Blu/Grn screens go to R2

White goes to sleeve.

Good luck! :)

This will help you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4atef-O3...

bmadau will be eternally grateful.