The Western Digital My Passport Ultra is a USB 3.0 portable storage device with capacities from 500 GB up to 2 TB.

Data Transfer very slow

My External hard dive takes time to be discovered when plugged in and once discovered data is transferred extremely slow. e.g 10MB Can take 3 hours. it transfers @ a rate of 52KB/ps or less.

Free shipping on orders over $20
Use code BLUEANDBLACK at checkout
Free shipping on orders over $20
Use code BLUEANDBLACK

Sometimes USB ports have different power ratings and give different speeds. Try using the port closest to the power port if on a laptop.

If your External HDD is a WD Passport, it has extra hardware that does the encryption part. The data transfer is slow probably due to improper handling like a fall or pulling off the Ext HDD while iti s still running and hasn't spinned down. (multiple times)

How can this be fixed then?

If the problem has arisen due to improper handling, the only probable solution is to send it for data recovery but the cost involved can be extremely high. You have to come to a conclusion regarding the importance of the data to you if you finally plan to send the External Hard Disk for Data Recovery.Otherwise...you will have to wait for a lifetime to get your data which is actually impractical.

An improper handling occured in our case; so it seems the disc can be considered dead.

I am just wondering about the symptoms: Shouldn't a damaged disc behave differently (not being just extremely slow)?

The strange thing is, that the diagnostic software by WD claims, that the harddisk passed the quick test. (I didn't start the slow test, since I am already in the sixties and I do not want to keep my computers busy with that test during my remaining lifespan.)

I would just like to avoid dumping a maybe healthy drive,

Katlego will be eternally grateful.